Suspension Springs, struts, coilovers, sway-bars, camber plates, and all other modifications to suspension components for Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Suspension Mismatched shocks

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2017, 09:34 AM
Minor Threat
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mismatched shocks

I've got an 03 R53 with mismatched shocks. I have yellow Koni's in the back but the orange ones in the front. Is it worth taking them out and selling one or the other so they are the same all the way around? I only use the car for a daily driver. Will I notice any difference? Is there a reason why this is a bad setup? If not, I really don't want to go through the trouble of selling them and replacing because all four are almost brand new.

Thanks for the advice!

Old 10-17-2017, 10:16 AM
njaremka
Alliance Member
Received 1,713 Likes on 1,381 Posts
as long as they are the same on each axle, you'll be fine with yellows in the back and orange in the front.

If it was yellow on the left front and rear, and orange on the right front and rear, then you'd have problems.

Old 10-17-2017, 10:52 AM
pnwR53S
6th Gear - NAM Hall of Fame
Received 389 Likes on 356 Posts
different dampers front vs back

Interesting. I didn't know Koni made a orange (STR.T) damper for the Mini. It must be the precursor to the FSD. You would be fine since left and right on each end are the same. Adjustable dampers, especially those in low price points, are so overated.

Old 10-25-2017, 11:46 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 1,966 Likes on 1,766 Posts
Early Gen 1 MINIs, FSD, yellows and orange.

https://www.ecstuning.com/Mini-2005-Cooper-R53-S-Coupe-L4_1.6L_W11B16A/Suspension/Shocks/

Gen 2 MINIs just yellows and FSDs.

Just make sure they are paired, front and rear from side to side.

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 10-25-2017, 12:08 PM
cristo
Alliance Member
Received 203 Likes on 167 Posts
Orange Koni STR.T is very similar to Koni Yellow close to full soft.
If you run the yellows between full soft to 1/4 turn harder, they should
be pretty pretty well matched to the oranges.

Old 10-25-2017, 02:31 PM
CSP
5th Gear
Received 38 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by njaremka
as long as they are the same on each axle, you'll be fine with yellows in the back and orange in the front.

If it was yellow on the left front and rear, and orange on the right front and rear, then you'd have problems.
Why would mismatched left and right cause problems? Might not be the most comfortable thing because one side would be slightly bouncier than the other, but I don't see how it would actually cause a problem. Legit question.

Old 10-25-2017, 02:43 PM
pnwR53S
6th Gear - NAM Hall of Fame
Received 389 Likes on 356 Posts
Originally Posted by CSP
Why would mismatched left and right cause problems? Might not be the most comfortable thing because one side would be slightly bouncier than the other, but I don't see how it would actually cause a problem. Legit question.
Actually I almost agree with you left and right mismatch may not be much of a problem as ignorance is bliss. With a lot of cheap coilovers that has more ***** and clicks than you can shake a stick at, even with the same model left and right and set to same dial/click position you may never know what you get, according to this guy. Reasons are damping adjustable valve is seldom linear, and worst they are not repeatable, and/or can varies greatly from unit to unit for cheap dampers/coilovers.