Suspension Springs, struts, coilovers, sway-bars, camber plates, and all other modifications to suspension components for Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S (R56), and Cabrio (R57) MINIs.

Suspension Please not another R53 vs R56 discussion!?!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2017, 11:56 PM
ChiR52
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Please not another R53 vs R56 discussion!?!!

Sorry. Sorry. Sorry some more.

Thinking hard about this and I came very specifically for the R56 suspension forum. My wife has an R52. I sold my BMW with the intention to buy an R53 or R56. Leaning towards R53 but I wanted to hear from you.

I've driven all three generations in convertible form and the first two generations in hardtop R53 and R56. All cars were stock though the R56 was a JCW. My impression--and this isn't original--is that each new generation feels less sporty (which is not the same thing as less fast), more remote but also more luxurious. R53 and R56 were close in terms of sportiness. Different engine characteristics but otherwise a lineage. The third gen Cooper felt like something made by another car maker. I'd go so far as to call it numb. The later generations are, however, another level above the R53 in terms of interior luxury. R53 is cute inside but ultimately an economy car interior. The better R56 interiors are arguably the best in the best in the business in their class. If I go R56, it'll be Mayfair or bust.

I was more impressed with the R56 than I expected to be but it just didn't have the same sharpness, or feeling of being rails that an R53 did. I'm not talking skid pad numbers or lap times. The steering felt just a little more remote, not as immediate. Don't get me wrong, this is not a soft or poor handling car. The R56 is awesome but stock vs stock I had more fun in the R53.

But we're in the Supension Mods forum and stock per se isn't that interesting. Cars are a platform for us to change to our needs. So, the question is, with the right mods, can an R56 capture what I perceive the R53 has?

Old 03-25-2017, 01:14 AM
Zalami3196
1st Gear
Go for a JCW R53, my $0.02

Old 03-25-2017, 03:32 AM
BoostedBlueToyotas
3rd Gear
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
Another vote for R53 JCW, add in with English Panther leather seats (same or as good as Lounge Leather in R56). Like interior in R53 a mile more then R56. That integrated center speedometer and radio leaves me cold. My .02

Old 03-25-2017, 11:04 AM
squawSkiBum
Received 302 Likes on 223 Posts
Don't forget the importance of tires. If the R53 was on runflats and the R56 on something non runflat with a high soft sidewall that would make a big difference in the feel.

I have limited seat time in an R53 so I won't try to make a direct comparison. But with proper mods (see my sig) you can take the already great handling of the R56 and make it fantastic. Start with a bigger rear sway bar and additional front camber.

Old 03-25-2017, 11:48 AM
ChiR52
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by squawSkiBum
Don't forget the importance of tires. If the R53 was on runflats and the R56 on something non runflat with a high soft sidewall that would make a big difference in the feel.

I have limited seat time in an R53 so I won't try to make a direct comparison. But with proper mods (see my sig) you can take the already great handling of the R56 and make it fantastic. Start with a bigger rear sway bar and additional front camber.
Nicely set-up car! I have Ohlins and MPSS on my S2000. Pretty great and compliant set-up. Best of all worlds. I didn't check what kind of tires. Interesting though that the MPSS does not have stiff sidewalks though it looks like you run with low profile tires.

Seems like the suspension playbook is generally the same for R53 and R56: camber plates, end links, sway bar, coilovers.