Suspension Springs, struts, coilovers, sway-bars, camber plates, and all other modifications to suspension components for Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S (R56), and Cabrio (R57) MINIs.

Suspension BC Racing BR Coilovers don't go low?

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2017, 04:19 PM
Alex Hamby
1st Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
BC Racing BR Coilovers don't go low?

I've got an '09 Cooper S with BC Racing BR Coils installed. I got these about a year and a half ago, but didn't have the chance to attempt getting as low as I wanted on them until recently after getting my correct wheel setup and whatnot. Anyway, the front coils go more than low enough. I could get the front bumper around an inch off the ground if wanted. The rear, however, becomes maxed out extremely early. Probably 3-4 inches above what the fronts max out at.

When I bought these, I ordered the "extreme low" version so I wouldn't run into this exact issue. (Comes with shorter strut inserts and springs.) Come to find out 18 months later, after contacting BC three times, that they don't even HAVE an Extreme Low option for Mini's, they only have one sizing option available. Because of this, I cannot simply order shorter inserts.

Has anyone else running BC's had issues with this? I've seen that on lots of cars running BC's, the lower locking collar and the upper locking collars eventually press against each other on the threaded strut body because they can go so low. They even remove these collars to drop the strut LOWER into the lower mount. On mine, the threaded strut is clearly at the bottom of the lower mounting bracket and the upper and lower collars are still 2-3 inches apart.

I'm almost convinced they've sent the wrong strut cartridges/inserts but after giving BC my measurements, they assure me that's not the case.

Just looking for some advice/ problem solving from anyone else with this issue.