Suspension Springs, struts, coilovers, sway-bars, camber plates, and all other modifications to suspension components for Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Suspension R50 Control Arm Bushings and Ball Joints

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2016, 11:13 AM
MeltingPlastic
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
R50 Control Arm Bushings and Ball Joints

Hey guys,

My Fiance's R50 needed control arm bushings so i pulled them off the carp and installed pre-pressed bushings on the subframe. When attempting to install the control arm, no amount of force got them installed. Is there any other way to install the control arms besides a press or is one required before installing the bushings onto the subframe.

Also, I figured while i have the subframe out i'd do the Ball Joints. I've unbolted them but can't get them off the knuckle. Any suggestions there?

Old 11-14-2016, 11:28 AM
JAB 67
6th Gear
Received 57 Likes on 50 Posts
I think that dishwashing detergent might be enough of a lubricant.

Old 11-14-2016, 12:05 PM
Racingguy04
5th Gear
Received 118 Likes on 95 Posts
I've never done the bushing replacement but I think dishwashing soap is a good place to start with lube.

As far as the ball joints, they're a PITA, have you already separated the ball joints from the control arms? I think when I had to fight with mine, I used a punch or a screw driver and found a little lip on the ball joint that stuck out from the knuckle, and gave it a few taps to help get it loose enough to stick a screwdriver in there and lever it out. The other thing I think I remember that may help, is if you pull the caliper and disc off, I think you can get a punch onto the top of the ball joint, because the steering knuckle is actually cut out for the top of the ball joint. If you can get to that, then you can give it a few whacks to get it out of there.

do yourself, and whoever may have to work on this car in the future, a favor and put a nice coating of anti-seize between the steering knuckle and the new ball joints. That way, next time you need to get the two apart, you don't even have to bother with separating the ball joints, you can just slide the whole thing out of the knuckle but loosening the two bolts.

Old 11-14-2016, 12:27 PM
MeltingPlastic
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Racingguy04
I've never done the bushing replacement but I think dishwashing soap is a good place to start with lube.

As far as the ball joints, they're a PITA, have you already separated the ball joints from the control arms? I think when I had to fight with mine, I used a punch or a screw driver and found a little lip on the ball joint that stuck out from the knuckle, and gave it a few taps to help get it loose enough to stick a screwdriver in there and lever it out. The other thing I think I remember that may help, is if you pull the caliper and disc off, I think you can get a punch onto the top of the ball joint, because the steering knuckle is actually cut out for the top of the ball joint. If you can get to that, then you can give it a few whacks to get it out of there.

do yourself, and whoever may have to work on this car in the future, a favor and put a nice coating of anti-seize between the steering knuckle and the new ball joints. That way, next time you need to get the two apart, you don't even have to bother with separating the ball joints, you can just slide the whole thing out of the knuckle but loosening the two bolts.
I tried using wheel bearing grease (it's what I had laying around) and it was a no go. I pulled the subframe again and pulled the mounts off and tried to do it off the car with my weight (300lbs) no go, tried using some threaded rod and perforated c-channel in an attempt to make my own "press" and I could never it to go straight so I have my father using his press at work to install them on the control arm and then i'll reinstall them.

The balljoints I was able to get off the control arm (remove the inner ball joint nut, break it free with a mallet, then remove the outer ball joint nut and break that free) I tried using a pickle fork and of course ripped the boot on the one hence needing to replace it but even prying the thing out with a screwdriver etc i couldn't get the ball joint to separate from the knuckle so it looks like i'll try the removal of the calipers etc and punch it out that way. car has 88k on it so it's likely time to and for $20 since i have everything apart, might as well do it

Old 12-02-2016, 10:08 PM
daviday
3rd Gear
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
How'd you make out with this?

Old 12-05-2016, 08:21 AM
MeltingPlastic
1st Gear
Originally Posted by daviday
How'd you make out with this?
My father pressed in the new bushings with no issues at work and i was able to remove the ball joints with a 10" 1/2" extension and a 2lb sledge. Took a ton of force but they finally popped out. I used some anti-seize around the housing to prevent that from happening again.