Suspension Springs, struts, coilovers, sway-bars, camber plates, and all other modifications to suspension components for Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Suspension Stock-like Springs

Old 11-01-2016, 02:47 PM
b0rderman
1st Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Stock-like Springs

Long time no talk, NAM.

I've got an early '04 MC40 MCS, with a bit of a mix and match suspension setup. A (relatively) long time ago I had Randy Webb install some H-Sport lowering springs on the car w/ stock struts. A (relatively) short time ago, the right rear H-Sport spring cracked. H-Sport is no longer making springs so in a quick fix I installed some HR lowering springs on Koni Yellows in the rear only. The front is still stock shocks w/ the H-Sport springs.

Fast forward to today, and I have had about enough of the ultra-jarring ride and would like to move on to something more comfortable.

One big issue: I do not have my stock springs.

I have found that this is a relatively big issue, because to source the stock springs costs about $600 to everything together (the fronts are in Germany only right now, the rears are stateside). Then I would still need some struts/shocks on top of that!

Anyway, I am in a bit of a conundrum and am not sure what direction to take.

I would really appreciate any advice you might have on the following potential solutions:

1. Replace my front stock shocks (very tired @ 130k miles) and H-Sport springs with Koni Yellows and HR springs to match the back and hope that this gives a good enough improvement in my current bump-smash syndrome.
Pros- This is the cheapest option as I have the front HR springs in a box, and would only need to order two Koni Yellow front shocks.
Cons- I might still have a jarring ride.

2. Source the rather pricey OEM springs and pair them with a lower-cost strut/shock such as the Bilstein B4 to offset the high OEM cost of the new springs.
Pros- this will probably be the most compliant ride.
Cons- something doesn't sit right with spending more on springs than your shocks/struts, but that just might be the reality of the situation.

3. Take a recommendation from you all on the most stock-like aftermarket spring that will hopefully cost less than the $600 OEM springs, so that I can save that money to pair them with a Koni FSD setup (what I really want on the car).
Pro- I still get to have 'sexy' parts on the car and improved ride.
Cons- these mythical stock-like springs may not exist.

Anyway, thanks all and I appreciate any input you might have.

Last edited by b0rderman; 11-01-2016 at 02:56 PM.

Search this Thread