Suspension Springs, struts, coilovers, sway-bars, camber plates, and all other modifications to suspension components for Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S (R56), and Cabrio (R57) MINIs.

Suspension Coilovers - help please

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2012, 09:45 PM
delete_me
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Coilovers - help please

I think I'm going to go with coilovers. Maybe ST? What else do I need to buy to take to a shop? Sway bars? Which ones?

And do I need camber correction? I don't want to kill tires.

In other words I am suspension dumb. Please help.

Thanks!

It's for a 2012 R56

Anyone know of a decent place in Albuquerque to get them installed?

Old 10-17-2012, 10:17 PM
Jack & Coke
3rd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Use the search button. Every question you asked has been answered multiple times!!

Old 10-18-2012, 06:21 AM
delete_me
1st Gear
I did. Thanks but it gets very confusing. Anyone mind giving me the dummies guide real quick?

Thanks.

Old 10-18-2012, 06:54 AM
chrunck
6th Gear
Received 219 Likes on 183 Posts
I'd give Chet's Wheel Alignment a call in Albuquerque. It's on Menaul between Wyoming and Pennsylvania. I've had good results there.

I've also had some general maintenance done at Hans Witler. He specializes in German cars, so that's another good bet.

Old 10-18-2012, 07:00 AM
submitaweasel
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
In the rear you will definitely need adjustable RLCAs if you want to negate all the added camber. Ive got somwhere around -3 rear camber thanks to still using stock control arms. Thought I had a good pic of it but I guess not.

Old 10-18-2012, 07:39 PM
delete_me
1st Gear
Thanks guys!

Here is what I have so far. Anything else?

Do I need a front sway bar? Or camber plates?

ST Coilovers
http://www.waymotorworks.com/st-coil...5-r56-r57.html

H-Sport Sway Bar
http://www.waymotorworks.com/h-sport...-sway-bar.html

H-Sport Rear Camber Links
http://www.waymotorworks.com/h-sport...ber-links.html

I know I'm missing something. Any help is appreciated!

Thanks!

Old 10-18-2012, 07:49 PM
killerfox
4th Gear
I would go with KW's instead of ST's because of a better warranty.

Old 10-18-2012, 07:55 PM
delete_me
1st Gear
Apparently I also need 5mm spacers? Do I need them on front and back? I have stock 17's

Old 10-18-2012, 08:22 PM
delete_me
1st Gear
Originally Posted by killerfox
I would go with KW's instead of ST's because of a better warranty.
Thanks killer. What else will I need? I like the idea of a lifetime guarantee except I'm averaging about 1.5 years with a car lately.

Old 10-18-2012, 09:06 PM
killerfox
4th Gear
since your not planning on keeping the car long, you could go with a set of Megan's and they come with camber plates. If you go with ST's or KW's you have to reuse your factory mounting plates or buy a set of camber plates extra. I have 17 inch wheels on my clubman and use 5mm spacers with my factory wheels but with my Konigs I don't need any spacers as the wheel ofset is different. you will also need rear lower control arms to remove all the extra camber from being lowered.

Originally Posted by delete_me
Thanks killer. What else will I need? I like the idea of a lifetime guarantee except I'm averaging about 1.5 years with a car lately.

Old 10-19-2012, 08:25 AM
Jack & Coke
3rd Gear
I bought the Megans. Can't beat the price. ST simply has a forum sponsor pushing the snot out of them on this site. Not saying they are a bad coilover. IMO you get more for the price with Megans. Also people need to take into consideration the type of driving they will be doing. That alone should be the biggest factor in which coilover system you go with.

Old 10-19-2012, 08:44 AM
submitaweasel
5th Gear
Originally Posted by delete_me
Apparently I also need 5mm spacers? Do I need them on front and back? I have stock 17's
I installed 12mm spacers on the front because my 17" stockers werent clearing the lockring.

Old 10-19-2012, 09:01 AM
RobMuntean
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Koni yellows and NM springs. Especially if your worried about your tires.

Old 10-19-2012, 06:26 PM
mbwicz
6th Gear
Received 50 Likes on 43 Posts
Since you are looking at Way Motor Works, give them a call. He has a very good reputation and can probably give you solid advice.

Old 10-19-2012, 06:32 PM
delete_me
1st Gear
Thanks guys! What about sway bars? Should I get new ones?

Does the megan's provide a drop? That was my main goal was to get rid of the wheel gap as it drives me nuts. It's what I hated about my e92 m3 also.

Old 10-19-2012, 09:57 PM
submitaweasel
5th Gear
If only drop is your goal go VMAXX...like I did. They allow MORE than enough drop. Ive got rubbing in the rear and axle vibrations in the front and neither are close to all the way down..

Old 10-21-2012, 07:33 PM
delete_me
1st Gear
Thanks but I'm not interested in vibrations and rubbing. I'd like to do it right regardless of it costing a bit more. Have been in contact with way. I think I'm going to do hsport camber links, coilovers st or kw and sways. Thanks for the help. Will post pics after I get the JCW tuning kit is installed this week and hopefully new suspension.

Old 10-22-2012, 07:03 AM
submitaweasel
5th Gear
1.) Vibrations in the front seem to appear at random from car to car but will only appear when lowered. If you get vibrations, you have to deal with them. If not, youre lucky. The brand of coilovers you buy and camber links and sway bar changes will not change this.

2.) Rubbing is inevitable if you go low enough. It doesnt matter what parts you use....unless the coilovers cant adjust low enough.

There are risks associated with going low...these are just the two most common. You may want to read up before going low. The fact that I have "budget" coilovers does not have anything to do with either of these issues.

Old 10-22-2012, 08:54 PM
delete_me
1st Gear
Thanks for clarifying. I came to my earlier, albeit incorrect, conclusion by the way your previous post sounded. I am all about buying the "budget" coilovers, especially given the price difference, if they do the job. Hell, half the reason I went from an e92 m3 to the MCS was to be more budget friendly. Paying 1k/mo. to drive a car sucks. I only drove it 11k miles in 1.7 years.

Old 10-22-2012, 09:22 PM
slinger688
6th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Op, try to go to a Mini club meeting in your area. I am sure there would be all sorts. Maybe they will give you ride do you will know what you are getting.

What do you want to do with the coils? Better handling, lowering?

Old 10-23-2012, 05:13 AM
Creeve
6th Gear
Originally Posted by submitaweasel
1.) Vibrations in the front seem to appear at random from car to car but will only appear when lowered. If you get vibrations, you have to deal with them. If not, youre lucky. The brand of coilovers you buy and camber links and sway bar changes will not change this.

2.) Rubbing is inevitable if you go low enough. It doesnt matter what parts you use....unless the coilovers cant adjust low enough.

There are risks associated with going low...these are just the two most common. You may want to read up before going low. The fact that I have "budget" coilovers does not have anything to do with either of these issues.
1) The vibrations some people get are still kind of a mystery, but I don't think it is a common problem. Its being talked about a bit on the forum recently but I barely ever heard about it in years previous. I think it is more the effect of how problems tend to "trend" on forum sites.

2) I am lowered over 3" and have zero rubbing (also zero vibrations). It all about how you set things up. Wheel/tire size, camber, etc

Old 10-23-2012, 05:58 AM
submitaweasel
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Creeve

1) The vibrations some people get are still kind of a mystery, but I don't think it is a common problem. Its being talked about a bit on the forum recently but I barely ever heard about it in years previous. I think it is more the effect of how problems tend to "trend" on forum sites.

2) I am lowered over 3" and have zero rubbing (also zero vibrations). It all about how you set things up. Wheel/tire size, camber, etc
1.) Yep, I may have something to do with all that talk. I talk a lot. And I have these vibrations to a slight extent.

2.) All this is also true, but at the moment I don't have the money to get all those things so its just sitting on the stock wheels/tires and stock camber links. I just deal with it.

On a side note, I didn't mean to start a huge debate here, I just tend to forget inflection is left out through typing.

Old 10-23-2012, 07:17 AM
Creeve
6th Gear
Yea, not trying to debate. I just wanted to make sure that the OP doesn't get talked out of the suspension he wants.

BTW to the OP. If you are looking at Megan also check out BC Racing. I have nothing against Megan I think they do offer a lot for their price. BC offer very similar features but IMO the design and build quality are a little higher.

Old 10-25-2012, 06:15 AM
delete_me
1st Gear
I thought I was set. Talked to Way, had it all figured out. Called Chet's here in Albuquerque.......they quoted me 800-1500 just to install! WTF!?!?!?

Now I have no idea where this will take me. I figured install would be 400-600. Even the Stealership quoted me 800-1000.

Any ideas? I'm not a DIY guy. I've tried in the past and have had a really hard time. I'm not mechanically inclined at all. I'm more of a computer nerd

Old 10-25-2012, 08:13 AM
killerfox
4th Gear
You could go to craigslist under automotive and find a mechanic that way. I've used mechanics from there there before with good results.

Quick Reply: Suspension Coilovers - help please