Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Engine ticking after pulley mod.

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2003, 08:38 PM
TwOMINIs
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
So, I finally got the pulley mod, and been enjoying my new found torque. Drove the car home after the mod ~150 miles on the freeway. Car drove great the following day.

The next morning, upon starting a strange ticking /rubbing? sound is coming from the pulley end of the motor. That I hadn't noticed before. I looked and it appears as though the pulley belt is rubbing on a bolt which is attached to the block between the pulley and the next "roller" just inferior.

I didn't drive the car for fear of damage to the belt. I made some phone calls to the shop where installation was done and long story short, the clearance to this bolt was fixed. I then started the car and the rubbing was gone but I still heard the ticking sound from that end of the motor...I drove...car warms up, ticking gone...hmmm...

The Next day, upon first start and the ticking is back....coming from the supercharger end of the motor. I looked at the pulley belt...all clear no rubbing...I drove until the motor warmed up and the ticking is gone....what gives?...any ideas....now I have ticking after the pulley mod...coindence?

Any one else with ticking upon cold start that goes away after the motor has warmed up....with or without the pulley mod. should I be worried...? I did a seach here and couldn't find anything on engine ticking....some info on another forum...but not specifically on ticking on first cold start that goes away after motor warmed up. Could something bad had happened with the install? (Engine Jack technique)
Am I going to have warranty voided nightmares?

Any info would be appreciated, is this a coincidence or related to pulley mod or something else?

His, Chile Red All over / Hers, EB UJ on top.

Old 05-11-2003, 11:37 PM
Zappa
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
At idle, what was the frequency of the supercharger ticks? Three per second? Could you hear it standing away from the car?

Also, although I hope it does not come to this, if there was damage done to void a warranty always consider it may not be the pully but the installer. Was it a shop that has a good reputation and covers all work done?

I hope you don't have any further problems with it!!!

Old 05-12-2003, 07:27 PM
TwOMINIs
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It is about 3 per sec... answers to many questions on performance mod forum..

I could hear it away from car for <3-5 min, at about 30ft. with bonnet up. Then when engine warm...gone...I'm not even sure its coming from the supercharger.....just the serpiginous belt end of the motor...Installer has good reputation and should stand behind work if caused problem...

His Chile red all over/ Hers, EB UJ on top.

Old 05-12-2003, 07:56 PM
Minimad
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As the pulley is press fit, make sure it is seated correctly. Can it be quieting because of heat expansion of the metal parts? Is the pulley material the same metal? I'd definitely call the installer, if you didn't have it before.