Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Need HELP with S intake manifold removal..

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2006, 02:32 PM
Dr Obnxs
Former Vendor
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Need HELP with S intake manifold removal..

Hi all, I'm yanking my intake manifold (and other stuff) today. Well, the Bentley manual says to remove the intake bolts in a certain order, but for the life of me, I can't figure out how to get a wrench or socket onto the first nut! It's the one farthest to the passenger side, pretty much shielded by the SC exit horn and the manifold itself.

Anyone who's done this feel free to post any suggestions!

Thanks,

Matt

ps, of course I just found this out now with the guts of my car all over the garage!

Old 09-02-2006, 02:41 PM
Dr Obnxs
Former Vendor
Don at Precision Mini gave me a hint..

that the SC comes out FIRST, not like the Bentley manual says. I 'll give that a try, but anyone else feel free to post other suggestions....

Matt

Old 09-02-2006, 02:50 PM
Mini Works
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hello,

That is also how we have done it, removing first the Supercharger,

Victor

Old 09-02-2006, 03:39 PM
Johan
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Mini Works
Hello,

That is also how we have done it, removing first the Supercharger,

Victor
It's too bad, but you have to remove the SC first. Unless you’re taking the head off as well. I don't have a Bentley but this is the second time that I have heard this...May I be inclined to ask why you are removing the intake manifold??? -- Johan

Old 09-02-2006, 05:26 PM
Dr Obnxs
Former Vendor
I'm not...

I want to take the SC off.

The bentley also doesn't mention the tensioner either...

Matt

Old 09-02-2006, 09:41 PM
Dr Obnxs
Former Vendor
One biatch of a pulley removal..

I'm taking my old SC off and putting on one that I've had around for a while. It's a ported and polished one... So like an idiot when I started the job today I'd forgotten to get a pulley removal tool. Oh well, trip to the store to get a puller, as this will be a bench job and I'll have lots of room to work.

OMFG! The sucker wouldn't budge! So out came the torch to heat the pulley... That and an impact wrench and 30 min later (I have a small compressor, so it would take a bit to build up pressure every time I used it) the sucker finally came off!

While this was the first time I'd taken a pulley off a SC, I can't belived how stuck on this one was. I'm not that bad a machinist, so I know how to apply heat, but this was rediculous.

So, including the mis-direction from the Bentley manual, tearing the car down took a bit over 2 hours. (Thanks for the fast replys to my post). Removing the pulley including the trip to the store to get the puller was about half that alone! Needless to say, I'll be putting the car together tomorrow morning instead of this afternoon....

Live and learn. What I learned is I should have asked to have the stock pulley taken off during the port and polish! What a dufus I can be!

Matt

Oh yeah, based on the Bentley manual, I thought I'd be able to get the intake off later without much hassle. Looks like that's not the case, so when I port and polish my intake and IC horns, the SC will have to come out again! Grrrr. Oh well, the second time it always goes faster...