Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

VIN #'s for linkage recall (USA)

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2002, 07:01 PM
mini-g.
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I found these VIN numbers at mini2-- TC30066 thru TC34812. I then took the time to call my service rep at Brecht Mini. He ran my VIN ( it was in those numbers) and indeed it did come up for the recall. I asked him why I have not heard from Mini /BMW about this recall. I then expressed my concern over my safety in traffic etc. etc. He replied that the recall was ' just issued and that not all of the cars within those numbers will not be afected'. I let him know again I was concerned about safety and told him I would contact Mini/USA myself. He put in an order for the parts. I asked him, HOW LONG? He thinks it will be a week or so and will call me when they come in. I said to him that I hope I don't break down before that and why will it take so long. Now that the recall has been issued, the parts are becoming avail. It will take sometime before all dealers have the stuff they need to do the work. Blah blah blah.
If you have not yet called your service rep, do so now!!!
It seems you will be in line to get the replacement parts, so do not delay.
Best of luck to all of us whom might 'be affected' :???:
Motor On.....I hope

Old 07-20-2002, 07:46 AM
Tollag
4th Gear
The whole recall thing for the linkage cables is for regualr coopers, correct? Nobody's really been able to answer that, and i'm getting worried!

Old 07-20-2002, 09:58 AM
RJSquirrel
3rd Gear
I have had basically the same experience with the shift linkage issue. No notice from BMW/MINI. Heard about it in the Wall Street Journal and then started searching the internet to confirm. Called the dealer who said my ViN was not included. Finally heard from Mini in response to my contact and they confirmed my car was included. Tried the dealer closest to me (not where I bought it) and they told me one month wait for the part. Called the selling dealer (1 1l2 hr drive away) who said they had the part and to come in. Apparently there are a couple types of problems involving the cable, connector or a combination. Anywho, they didn't have the part afterall and I wasted a 3hr round trip. Called Mini again and now it seems the correct part has been ordered and am waiting for its arrival. However, as you point out, at any time, in any traffic condition, I may have no gearbox. Don't sound too safe to me yet, MINI/Bmw and the dealer don't seem to think it's any big deal. I'm also beginning to wonder if there are other problems we just don't know about yet. It's all a shame 'cause I really love this car. I think BMW is being Waaaaaaay too slow to act on this whole thing but, they have historically been very arrogant on potential lemon law issues and claims.

Old 07-22-2002, 08:07 PM
mini-g.
3rd Gear
The recall is only for the Cooper- not the 'S'. Service called me today from both Brecht and Irvine to let me know the parts are in. I have my Mini slated to get its new linkage this Fri. Remember... Not all the Mini's in the sequence will be affected.
Motor On... without worry my friends

Old 07-28-2002, 01:17 PM
mini-g.
3rd Gear
Parts have now been re-placed and work was done in under two hours. Took a look at the part and saw no visable cracks. It stood the test of 2,500 miles. Now to get the 'squeeky' seat fixed
Motor On!!

Old 07-31-2002, 08:28 AM
amagnetta
1st Gear
This may be a stupid redundent question... but...
if my VIN is not between the two posted here does that mean I'm in the clear?
My VIN is about 1,000 past the last number listed.

Please reply...

Old 07-31-2002, 08:51 AM
mini-g.
3rd Gear
no dumb questions here!! :smile:
Motor On!!