Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Trouble code/Too Lean

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2006, 09:02 AM
minimotoman
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Trouble code/Too Lean

Well after installing my 17% pulley and 2% crank pulley on the rare occassion when on the highway I get the SES light, hooked up the OBD2 reader and I am running too lean(P0171) But that is only when I am on the highway and it is cool outside( <70F) If it is cool out and I am driving hard thru the backstreets I never get the light.

So I figure I need to remap the ECU whats the best way to do this without spending a fortune? I have tons of remapping experience on motorcycles and I do not like piggyback setups can I just remap the factory ecu and be done with it?

Suggestions Anyone?

Old 02-06-2006, 09:06 AM
RandyBMC
Temporarily Banned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Start by getting a wideband O2 bung and seeing what you are actually doing for A/F, or at least a dyno run with a tail sniffer. Then you will know where you need to go.

You can adjust the A/F with piggy backs such as the Apex (which actually work well on this car - not sure what your past experience is with them). Doing it through the ECU can be done with Cartune, but it will depend on your car - it doesn't seem to work with the later cars.

Hope that helps!
Randy

Old 02-06-2006, 10:25 AM
minimotoman
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
a/f meter

Would you have a recomendation on a wideband o2 kit?

Old 02-19-2006, 06:38 PM
LordOfTheFlies
6th Gear
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by minimotoman
Well after installing my 17% pulley and 2% crank pulley on the rare occassion when on the highway I get the SES light, hooked up the OBD2 reader and I am running too lean(P0171) But that is only when I am on the highway and it is cool outside( <70F) If it is cool out and I am driving hard thru the backstreets I never get the light.

So I figure I need to remap the ECU whats the best way to do this without spending a fortune? I have tons of remapping experience on motorcycles and I do not like piggyback setups can I just remap the factory ecu and be done with it?

Suggestions Anyone?
Before you spend oodles of money on a wideband o2 sensor, double check (and I mean *really* double check) that there are no vacuum leaks.

I was messing around doing the VGS install and got the exact same error code (P0171 - System Too Lean).

Turns out whilst putting my intercooler back together, I didn't do it correctly and thus had a leak on the right side of the IC.

So once again, double check your connections and make sure you reconnected everything back correctly first before shelling out the cash-o-la.

And so after reconnecting everything the code never came on again.