Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Rear Window Washer Not Working

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2009, 05:27 PM
markjenn
5th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
There's got to be something deteoriating upstream that is clogging the system. A plastic connector or sealant or something. Maybe it might have something to do with the brand/type of washer fluid.

- Mark

Old 02-13-2009, 09:34 PM
paulgraz
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I disagree. There's a check valve about 6-8 inches from the rear nozzle, and the clogging only seems to happen in that section. Seems like it's just dirt to me...

Old 03-07-2009, 08:30 AM
sabremini
1st Gear
Need some further guidance.

I popped the arm cover and cleaned out the fluid tube - wiper fluid flows out fine with the arm cover open.

However, when i close the arm cover and try to spray fluid, nothing comes out.

Anybody have any thoughts?

summary: fluid flows fine with arm cover open, won't spray with arm cover closed.

Old 03-07-2009, 08:34 AM
paulgraz
4th Gear
Originally Posted by sabremini
Need some further guidance.
summary: fluid flows fine with arm cover open, won't spray with arm cover closed.
The nozzle in the cover is clogged. Take it inside, clean it up in the sink with warm water and soap - maybe use something tiny to unclog it...

Don't lose that little rubber washer that forms the seal between the cover & the fitting on the boot!

Old 03-07-2009, 10:59 AM
sailnavy
1st Gear
Concur, I'd say you've got some gunk in the squirter thingy (technical term). If you can't get it to work, I'd just got buy a new plastic snap on cover thingy. Might want to use one of the cans of compressed air to blow through the nozzle in reverse flow, or put it in some warm soapy water?

Old 03-07-2009, 11:56 AM
sabremini
1st Gear
That worked. Thanks.

Now I just have to get the nozzle back in the proper placement...

Old 03-07-2009, 12:29 PM
nabeshin
Functioning Lunatic
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Using wire like this did not fix it for me. I'll have to pull the trunk interior panel off and poke around.

Ah, my rear sprayer has been broken for about 5 years now... That metal spray fitting before the plastic bit is all rusty. Could be bad...

Old 03-07-2009, 12:52 PM
sailnavy
1st Gear
Sabre said the washer fluid is working without the plastic sprayer on the washer arm attached.

Old 03-07-2009, 01:59 PM
nabeshin
Functioning Lunatic
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Even with that cover off it still doesnt spray.

Old 06-19-2009, 03:08 PM
MrBeanMini
Neutral
My washer didn't work suddenly

Frustration got me here. Elation made me join.

My mini dealer wanted $347 for a new motor. Of course I said no. I found this site and trolled the waters. Found you guys and your great advice. I tried it. Armed with a straightend paperclip, out to the parking lot I went. 3 and 1/2 minutes later I was back with a working rear washer.

My mini dealer lied and tried to cheat me. You guys saved me. I will be back for more advice. Keep up the great information sharing. I had no idea the internet could be so productive.

Thanks again.

Old 07-08-2009, 03:08 PM
SeanKidd
2nd Gear
Welcome Mr Bean

Hope you enjoy your stay...this place is awesome

Old 01-16-2010, 08:19 AM
Geddy
Neutral
Same problem....

I checked everything mentioned on this thread, and still cannot get fluid to flow. No kinks under the bonnet, pulled the check valve off and still do not get a spray from the line...

I did get some gunk from the mast when I poked around. I cleaned that as best I could. I'm wondering if there is a clog at the motor Housing. The assembly seems to be held together by some Torx screws, but I'm hesitant to take those off and see. I don't want to break the motor, as the wiper works without any issues...

Suggestions?

Old 03-14-2010, 05:48 PM
runnercoop
Neutral
I have had my 03 MCS for a little over a year and my rear washer has never worked. I came on here for an answer not knowing why I waited so long, but armed with a paper clip and two minutes, my problem was solved. Thank you NAM.

Old 03-14-2010, 07:33 PM
ofioliti
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by MrBeanMini
Frustration got me here. Elation made me join.

My mini dealer wanted $347 for a new motor. Of course I said no. I found this site and trolled the waters. Found you guys and your great advice. I tried it. Armed with a straightend paperclip, out to the parking lot I went. 3 and 1/2 minutes later I was back with a working rear washer.

My mini dealer lied and tried to cheat me. You guys saved me. I will be back for more advice. Keep up the great information sharing. I had no idea the internet could be so productive.

Thanks again.
Bravo! Congrats.

Old 08-08-2010, 09:34 PM
minimonkeygrrl
3rd Gear
Thanks guys, easy fix

Early 04 MINI Cooper, I lifted the hinged wiper back and tried the washer to see if I had a kinked hose. Looked like Ghost was peeing out the back of the hatch . Must be the nozzle then. Went to the back again and the nozzle was full of brown gunk, cleared it out with compressed air and it works great.

Super easy fix. It was especially helpful to have that picture.

Old 08-11-2010, 09:12 PM
fusion
2nd Gear
OMG, there is fluid that comes out the back. This i gotta check out! Paper cliper where u at?!?

Old 12-01-2010, 09:15 PM
kunnis
Neutral
Thanks NAM! I had the exact same problem: 04 MCS - Rear Washer not working. I could hear the motor and front washer worked.

I popped off the back cover, and it didn't work. I took a piece of coathanger I have, and inserted 4-1/2 inches. Tapped lightly, and the coathanger piece moved in to 5" (I measured it for everyone else). I tested it, and it works perfectly.

Old 01-06-2011, 06:55 PM
dua84
Neutral
Originally Posted by golden_child
Sorry this is OT. But I remember when I got my 03 MCS the front jets shot over the car and hit the car behind me instead of at the windshield.

Now back to our regularly scheduled broadcast.
This same thing is happening to my 06' r53. Went to a local dealership and they gave me a replacement cover to test but there was no nozzle on it, so the spray went everywhere but on the window. I found this part on minimania.com and ordered it figuring that the nozzle was included....

but received the same part the dealer gave me below. Am I missing something here, or do I keep on spraying the guy behind?

Attached Thumbnails Rear Window Washer Not Working-mini-part-rear-cover.gif  
Old 01-10-2011, 02:15 PM
paulgraz
4th Gear
That nozzle is definitely part of the cover - your dealer and minimania are giving you the wrong part.

Old 01-10-2011, 04:05 PM
Mini Mania Info
Banned
Originally Posted by dua84
This same thing is happening to my 06' r53. Went to a local dealership and they gave me a replacement cover to test but there was no nozzle on it, so the spray went everywhere but on the window. I found this part on minimania.com and ordered it figuring that the nozzle was included....

but received the same part the dealer gave me below. Am I missing something here, or do I keep on spraying the guy behind?

According to our data, the first image is for MINIs built up to 07/2004, and the second is for MINIs built after 07/2004.

Ken

Old 03-02-2011, 02:16 AM
dua84
Neutral
Ken over at minimania was very helpful, even sent me the wrong part no charge, great customer service and great selection of mini related motoring gear... Finally got this thing fixed with the first part sent and helpful guys at another source up in Sun Valley, CA: Mini World, a salvage yard for mini's. Here's part that I think someone pried out of the wiper assembly:

Should this happen again (or to anyone else), I'm hoping maybe someone could identify the part and where to source it.

Shout out again to minimania, and mini world!

Attached Thumbnails Rear Window Washer Not Working-mini-rear-washer-nozzle.gif  
Old 03-13-2011, 04:36 PM
Ferroequine
4th Gear
Originally Posted by dua84
Ken over at minimania was very helpful, even sent me the wrong part no charge, great customer service and great selection of mini related motoring gear... Finally got this thing fixed with the first part sent and helpful guys at another source up in Sun Valley, CA: Mini World, a salvage yard for mini's. Here's part that I think someone pried out of the wiper assembly:

Should this happen again (or to anyone else), I'm hoping maybe someone could identify the part and where to source it.

Shout out again to minimania, and mini world!
Is this the part needed for an 05-06? My 06 MCS is only squirting 1/3 way up the window now, and I can't figure out how to get it cleaned to go up higher. Help!

Old 03-17-2011, 06:12 PM
myla2003
2nd Gear
Both front and back washer stopped working on my '03 this last winter. I ended up narrowing it down to the check valves. There were no obstructions that I could find, but I wasn't able to blow through the check valves. I ended up taking them apart (they looked fine) but when I put them back together again I could easily blow through them. I put everything back together, and it all works like new! I guess somethings just need to be taken apart and put back together>

Old 03-17-2011, 06:16 PM
myla2003
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Ferroequine
Is this the part needed for an 05-06? My 06 MCS is only squirting 1/3 way up the window now, and I can't figure out how to get it cleaned to go up higher. Help!
It could just be that the nozzle somehow turned a little, and is now not pointing in the right direction. You can adjust it simply by using a flat head screwdriver, and turning it ever so slightly until it works properly.

Old 03-19-2011, 06:55 PM
skirule
1st Gear
04 MCS 106 000
still works well

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OYKmUYlbhQw

Quick Reply: Rear Window Washer Not Working