Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

A/C lag is horrible! Can an ECU update fix it?

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2005, 11:51 AM
C4
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well I am crazy then!

My MCS launches hard and fast...no problemos A/C or A/C off.

Car does not hesitate, stall or anything like that.

On the other hand for 12 years I drove Hondas that felt like they were to die on me with the A/C. Such is life.

Oh and I have no DSC either.

Oh well, I rest my case.

Old 06-10-2005, 11:59 AM
kyriian
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
its not just launching for me... it seems to occur when i try to blip the throttle to downshift... the throttle takes about 2 -3 more seconds to react to my input, so i have to go deeper, and sometimes when you are in a hurry to downshift, it does not help!

if i got the a/c on, typically takes me 5 minutes to adjust, but still, i find engine rev, throttle input, almost everything slows down by about 10 seconds when the a/c is on....

a friend of mine suggested i turn on air recirculation, and i was trying it today, and it does seem to help

Old 06-10-2005, 12:00 PM
C4
Banned
I use air recirc most of the time.

Old 06-10-2005, 12:06 PM
jggonzalez
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by OmToast
I don't quite understand how MINI could have fixed this problem without upgrading the physical power. Ma' daddy done always told me that AC power sap was life-as-usual in 4 bangers. And his wisdom has been proven in every 4 cylander car I've driven -- though admittedly to varying degrees.

I will admit that the MINI seems to suffer an unusually severe case (speaking from an 03 MCS point of view) but I expected it to lag.
I always thought the same, but when I test drove the '05 MC I purposely turned on the A/C full blast and had the MA in the car, so I expected poor performance. It would up being the opposite! Granted, the car wasn't really fast like the MCS, but it pulled away cleanly from a stop once I got used to the clutch and handled merging with heavy traffic just fine. I really expected it to be a dog and wound up being pleasantly surprised.

Even though I have to "settle" for the MC, I'm not as disappointed as I thought I would be. I'm really looking forward to getting my car.

Old 06-10-2005, 12:07 PM
C4
Banned
Thanks Joe

That makes us two outcasts that claim to have clean/smooth launches with our MINIs running A/C.

Putting on the flamesuit...

Originally Posted by jggonzalez
I always thought the same, but when I test drove the '05 MC I purposely turned on the A/C full blast and had the MA in the car, so I expected poor performance. It would up being the opposite! Granted, the car wasn't really fast like the MCS, but it pulled away cleanly from a stop once I got used to the clutch and handled merging with heavy traffic just fine. I really expected it to be a dog and wound up being pleasantly surprised.

Even though I have to "settle" for the MC, I'm not as disappointed as I thought I would be. I'm really looking forward to getting my car.

Old 06-10-2005, 12:16 PM
OmToast
OVERDRIVE
C4 -- gads, man! Not everyone has your freakin' perfect cars!!! Doh! Now I sound like the night before the French revolution...

jg... I am glad you had such a good experience with your test drive. While I hope that you don't have any AC lag, I assure you that you'll love your car regardless (I love mine -- the AC is so very minor to me). Congrats on the purchase!

Old 06-10-2005, 12:18 PM
C4
Banned
I like to upset people sometimes

Specially kaelaria and friends!

Just kidding. I'll love ya all.

Keep it coming...

Old 06-10-2005, 12:23 PM
Bikeguy57
2nd Gear
Maybe it's because South Florida is flat as a pool table, but I don't notice a big difference with A/C on. The tall gearing and slow throttle response took some getting used to but thats just the way the car is designed. The MCS is not underpowered, you just need to use the available RPM. I think being at sea level helps also.

Old 06-10-2005, 12:25 PM
dansmini
5th Gear
And not to go in another direction, but the car almost seems to grind to a halt when I take my foot off the gas while it is gear! It's like I'm on the brakes, even though I'm not.

Old 06-10-2005, 12:29 PM
C4
Banned
True. Cars function better at sea level = more oxygen!

When it got real hot last summer, my '04 MCS did feel a LOT and I mean millions of times slower/sluggish with the A/C on than my '05 MCS.

The shorter '05 gearing and added torque/power do make a tremendous amount of difference in terms of perfomance.

In comparison, my '04 MCS with the absurdely tall 1st gear and my '05 MCS with 12% shorter 1st gear feel like 2 different cars made by 2 different manufacturers. The '04 MCS did feel and sounded overtaxed in the dead of the summer, not this baby!

Maybe some of the '05 MCS owners should spend some quality time behind the wheel of a bone stock '02-'04 MCS to experience what hesitation really feels first hand.

Originally Posted by Bikeguy57
Maybe it's because South Florida is flat as a pool table, but I don't notice a big difference with A/C on. The tall gearing and slow throttle response took some getting used to but thats just the way the car is designed. The MCS is not underpowered, you just need to use the available RPM. I think being at sea level helps also.

Old 06-10-2005, 12:30 PM
C4
Banned
That sounds pretty severe. My car coasts perfectly to a stop and smoothly. Wow some of you really have to put up with lousy driveability problems

Originally Posted by dansmini
And not to go in another direction, but the car almost seems to grind to a halt when I take my foot off the gas while it is gear! It's like I'm on the brakes, even though I'm not.

Old 06-10-2005, 12:34 PM
BigBrownDog
4th Gear
I agree with this 110%. I had no problems with this on my 02 MCS, never once killed it or lugged the engine on a launch (except the very 1st test drive I took!). You need to adapt your driving skill to the car, just like any other.

Living in Steamy St. Louis we run the AC about 9-10 months out of the year.

Originally Posted by YellowMiniS
I don't understand why people think that there is a problem with the car on this issue. It is a driving problem. It doesn't matter one bit that your 'x' brand car works similarly with the A/C on or not. Your MINI needs more revs to launch when the A/C is on.

I keep reading that the 'problem' is just off idle. Well, then, don't launch the car 'just off idle'. Launch it with some revs!

Old 06-10-2005, 12:35 PM
BigBrownDog
4th Gear
Make sure you shift out of 1st gear and this won't happen!

Originally Posted by dansmini

Old 06-10-2005, 12:39 PM
C4
Banned
Thanks Big. Now there a whooping total of 3 insanos that seem to know how to launch their "overtaxed" MINIs int he summer.

Old 06-10-2005, 12:56 PM
stylin99
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Wesport
Part of what some of you are experiencing is the heat soak issue. On hot days in heavy traffic with the AC on the Intercooler gets very hot, and thus the intake charge gets hot. When you crack the throttle to go, the CPU tries to advance the spark to help spin up the engine, but that hot air causes a knock, and the computer jerks the advance back down and leaves you half dead. See if you can't corolate the degree of the problem with lack of airflow and excess heat. The longer you are sitting still with the hot motor the more likely the issue to occur. Some people have tried IC sprayers and coolers for this very issue. AC adds to the heat soak, and also means its a hot day!

Wes
You are partly right.
Heat soak does affect the engine at launch to some degree. But take this into consideration...

90deg day, launch car withOUT A/C, still pulls off decent.
90deg day, launch car with A/C, it's a dog, Higher RPM's and slipping the clutch much further is required.

So Heat soak is not the sole factor here.

Some of you that have responded are running a little high on your driving-ability-ego-meters. A car should not have the big A/C lag on launch. I've never seen a vehicle with it so bad as the Mini. Agreed, it does take a different launching technique (described above) but if you're not used to it, it's surprisingly frustrating and annoying.

The funny part is, as soon as you slip the clutch out with higher rpm's and more throttle, it bolts off like a rocket shortly thereafter unless you quickly pull back throttle at just the right moment. Driving the Mini definitely requires driving adjustments not usually experienced with other cars. No wonder you guys grow big heads over your "experienced driving talent".

Old 06-10-2005, 04:12 PM
kaelaria
6th Gear
OK C4 is NOT crazy after all!!

THIS IS WEIRD. Tonight on the way home it was raining, and I used the a/c to keep the windows defrosted. This is probably the 10th time or so in the 3 months I've had the car that I've used it.

IT WAS COMPLETLEY NORMAL! I mean I could NOT tell if the compressor was engadged or not - EXACTLY like it should be and my other cars are! I was at almost every light turning it on and off, tapping the throttle, comparing lags, etc. Every take off was smooth and lag-free, just like with the a/c off. And yes it was working just fine! I was freezing my finger tips on the wheel and the windows were frosting over!

I have NO idea what has changed or what conditions were different. Outside temp was 77, the same as it usually is in the morning. I've had it on in the rain before (the primary reason I have had to use it - if I can have the windows down I always do). Nothing I can see was different.

As a real simple test, when I had the power lag, this was something I noticed to gauge it: At idle with the clutch in, quickly tap the throttle all the way to the floor and back up. With the a/c off, it would blip to 1500, and with the a/c on barely break 1000 - hardly begin to move because of the delay. Tonight they were IDENTICAL.

This is REALLY weird.

Old 06-10-2005, 04:18 PM
C4
Banned
Kaelaria, so what did you do differently this time? Did you give it more gas before releasing the clutch? What RPMs?

This is what I have been saying all day long. This car is more than capable of smooth/lag free launches with the A/C on or off.

Well, I am glad you got to experience positive feedback from the car.

Old 06-10-2005, 05:54 PM
kaelaria
6th Gear
No, you don't understand - I didn't do or NEED TO DO anything differently! The car was ACTING differently! It was taking off from a smooth 1500 RPM launch just like without the a/c, rather than 2500 as it usually did with a/c on.

Old 06-10-2005, 05:56 PM
kaelaria
6th Gear
I'm going to log some data, see if I can see anything, if it happens to go back to the way it was...I'm really curious.

Old 06-10-2005, 06:00 PM
MSFITOY
OVERDRIVE
Received 34 Likes on 23 Posts
92 degrees, 70 mph, AC on, stomp on it with Venom flowing, beat 06 Mustang GT trying to put me down...no problems here :smile: Mini does have a problem with the idle and AC as I have stalled several times today coming to a stop

Old 06-10-2005, 06:34 PM
kaelaria
6th Gear
Mine would *normally* almost do that as well - RPMs would bounce up and down slightly causing the engine to stumble and just about stall, just like the cold start problem.

Old 06-10-2005, 06:41 PM
C4
Banned
One thing I can assure you is that my idle under normal driving conditions is rock solid stable and the car has never even made the slightest attempt at stalling/stuttering while stopped or coasting to a full stop.

This software seems to have a very broad range of behaviors, ranging from almost perfect to extremely unpredictable and problematic.

Scary, very scary

Old 06-10-2005, 06:58 PM
MSFITOY
OVERDRIVE
Received 34 Likes on 23 Posts
I believe it was designed in to keep in character with the expected British car skizms...maybe there's a Lucas ghost :smile:

Old 06-10-2005, 06:59 PM
C4
Banned
Originally Posted by MSFITOY
I believe it was designed in to keep in character with the expected British car skizms...maybe there's a Lucas ghost :smile:
So you are saying that Lucas moved to Germany?

Old 06-10-2005, 06:59 PM
C4
Banned
Originally Posted by kaelaria
I'm going to log some data, see if I can see anything, if it happens to go back to the way it was...I'm really curious.
I am interested in your findings as well.

Quick Reply: A/C lag is horrible! Can an ECU update fix it?