Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

Key Fob / Ignition Module Issues R-57S

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2024, 08:13 PM
Dan_C_in_NJ
1st Gear
Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts
Key Fob / Ignition Module Issues R-57S

Hello All, I purchased a 2012 R-57 S (Automatic) a while back and it has an ongoing problem that I am not sure how to fix. The car is not releasing the keyfob. Sometimes it will act normally (I previously owned an R-55 S) but mostly it will not release forcing me to yank the fob out. I thought the problem was a bad ignition/starter module, so I ordered one and just installed it. No change.

I also have an issue with the interlock for the Auto Trans. The previous owner, a Mr. Gorilla, apparently liked to shift out of Park without the car being running. At present I have not dropped the shifter box to see what I can do but that is probably next.

So here is my question, could the broken shifter interlock be the cause of my Keyfob issues?

A side issue, that I do not think is related, is the paddle shifters do not function or at least I am not using them correctly (first mini with auto and paddle shifters). I have not been able to find a description for usage: One at a time, both together. Manual shifting is possible via the floor lever in Manual, just no paddles.

Hope the collective can assist.

Thanks in advance,
Dan C in NJ

Old 05-01-2024, 07:23 AM
Dan_C_in_NJ
1st Gear
Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts
Mini Keyfob Release Fixed

To All. I have a resolution to my ignition issue. Te key fob needed to see the secondary interlock of the automatic trans in PARK to release the key.
The pictures show the plastic interlock before and after. I found a YouTube video detailing this problem and how to manage the fix.

Before in pieces After Reassembly