Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

engine issue

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2019, 04:02 PM
Jason P
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
engine issue

Hello all. I am a newbie to Mini's. I recently bought a 03 mini base. I had an oxygen sensor fault and the guy I bought it from had new oxygen sensors. I installed both and cleared/reset adaptives. I drove it for about a month and started getting lean codes on bank one. changed fuel filter and reset some adaptives and have not had that code back but I am getting intermittant misfire cylinder 1. Tried new coils, plugs, wires, swapped injectors. sems to always run kind of rough at idle. Does the 2003 engine have the valve carbon issue? Does anyone have any other ideas? I can go weeks without a light on or sometimes it comes on within a day. Thank you

Old 10-27-2019, 04:52 PM
ssoliman
5th Gear
Received 134 Likes on 119 Posts
Originally Posted by Jason P
Hello all. I am a newbie to Mini's. I recently bought a 03 mini base. I had an oxygen sensor fault and the guy I bought it from had new oxygen sensors. I installed both and cleared/reset adaptives. I drove it for about a month and started getting lean codes on bank one. changed fuel filter and reset some adaptives and have not had that code back but I am getting intermittant misfire cylinder 1. Tried new coils, plugs, wires, swapped injectors. sems to always run kind of rough at idle. Does the 2003 engine have the valve carbon issue? Does anyone have any other ideas? I can go weeks without a light on or sometimes it comes on within a day. Thank you
Lean condition could be vacuum leak. Try a smoke test. I have a link to a good smoker if you would like it let me know.

also could do a compression test and leak-down test