Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

EML plus service engine light

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2019, 06:13 PM
gpskipton
3rd Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
EML plus service engine light

I posted a few days ago and thought maybe the dsc was acting up. Fast forward to today.

I drive my 2006 S thinking it was good with dsc off. It ran great for about 10 miles, then I got in a traffic jam. Suddenly, service engine and EML lights up when I got on the gas. Take off the gas and it goes away. I had to stop on the side of the road. I could start the car and it idles perfectly... Hit the gas and it immediately turns on the EML and service engine light and cuts the fuel stalls and dies. I have a Foxwell scanner, but codes do not come up as lights go out on idle. I got it towed home. When cold, it is fine.

Other symptoms... Car sometimes turns over slowly. There were some old codes when I did scan about low voltage. I had the battery tested last week and it is newish and fine.

Any suggestions. I am going to try to clean the grounds. I think the passenger side may need a good tightening where it mounts to the engine support bracket.

Any suggestions welcome.

Old 06-20-2019, 11:45 AM
gpskipton
3rd Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I wanted to post a resolution to this issue.

I removed the drivers side ECU ground and sanded it down to remove corrosion. I have driven about 700 miles since this fix and the problem has not returned.