Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

Mystery Noise! Oil overfill? Turbo?

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2019, 01:54 AM
pepperstripes
3rd Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Mystery Noise! Oil overfill? Turbo?

Who can help me diagnose my mystery noise? 2013 R60SA4 66K

**Originally posted this under "tires and wheels" but I decided to move it here based on new evidence**

Big snowstorm this week. Sounded like a wheel was rubbing on something from time to time. I figured it was ice in the wheel wells.

Took it in to the shop for an oil change. They took off the wheels and inspected the brakes; said I need new fronts. Since that time it has made "the noise" under the right conditions.

Seems to be coming from the the right-front wheel. Still sounds like the tire is rubbing on something. Low frequency at low speed, high frequency at high speed. Only occurs under moderate to hard acceleration or high speed (75+) going up hill. If I decrease speed slightly while going up hill the noise stops. Doesn't seem to be affected by turning or bumps, Also doesn't seem to be affected by braking although it stops when brakes are applied; possibly due to reduced torque to the wheel. I haven't tried braking and accelerating at the same time.

Hard to tell whether the before and after the shop noises are the same because I wasn't accelerating hard or driving fast uphill during the snowstorm.

Going to pop the wheel off tonight to see what I can see. Any suggestions?

**Update**

Pulled front wheels and had a look: No evidence of rubbing on wheels or tires. Still plenty of brake pad left although rotors have some grooves. CV boots are dry (not leaking). Pushed the sheet metal behind the rotors in a little in case they were rubbing on the rotors. Took it for a drive and no change.

Woke up at 2:30 in the morning thinking Turbo, Turbo, Turbo!! Which makes sense because the noise only happens at high-torque conditions. Checked the oil and it seems to be overfilled. After reading a few posts I am not sure I am getting a good reading off the useless MINI dipstick (I know, I need to get a Craven!). Anyway, it appears to be above the top of the plastic and I am having a hard time seeing how high it goes up the metal. I tried to pull the dipstick up slowly to avoid pulling oil up the tube. I made a few prints on paper towels and it looks like it may be about 2" above the plastic. I'll post pictures when my phone comes back to life.

So, the new question is: Is there any way overfilled oil could be causing the noise? Something with the turbo? Should I go back to the shop and have them remove some?

Old 01-24-2019, 06:21 PM
pepperstripes
3rd Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
the shop found the problem: heat shield rubbing on a drive shaft. Presumably from plowing through the big mess of snow at the bottom of the driveway.

The following users liked this post:
cargusjoh (01-24-2019)
Old 01-25-2019, 07:03 AM
S-2013
3rd Gear
Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts
My first thought was your wheel bearings.

Last edited by S-2013; 01-25-2019 at 11:41 AM.