Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

Clutch covered, flywheel not?

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2019, 12:51 PM
bronchoboyuco
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Clutch covered, flywheel not?

2014 R55 Mini Cooper Clubman (non-S) @ 52k miles.

**Update 1.06.2019: Dealer covered flywheel as well so my out of pocket was $0! I asked the SA a few questions and asked him to have his warranty guy please reconsider and he came back with it covered. So..? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ **

After reading countless "I paid $3200 for a blown clutch!" posts I was super relieved when my SA told me my clutch repair was covered under our Extended Maintenance (not warranty) plan. I don't have the tech notes, but he said there were no signs of misuse/abuse/hot spots etc., just the clutch disc had worn to 1mm causing slipping while accelerating. Guys, I'm out of my league when it gets this deep into car talk so I'll just go with it.

He followed that the clutch was in such bad shape the flywheel required replacing, and that $1,119.10 was coming out of my pocket. Now I'm almost a year past and 2k miles over the 4yr/50k mini warranty so no help there, but I just wanted to run this through you pros to see if I'm getting hosed here. Any advice, questions, or hell to raise are welcome. At the end of the day I'm glad I'm not out $3k+, but I thought it worth $1,119.10 to see if any of you have feedback. Thanks all!

Last edited by bronchoboyuco; 01-06-2019 at 10:32 AM.
Old 01-05-2019, 06:43 PM
v10climber
6th Gear
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Dual mass flywheels can't be resurfaced. It should be replaced as part of the clutch job. I assume the non-S has a DMF like the S models. Seems like it should be covered by your warranty if they're covering a clutch replacement. You should probably pay out of pocket for a new clutch fork and pivot pin while they're in there.

The following users liked this post:
bronchoboyuco (01-06-2019)
Old 01-06-2019, 10:35 AM
bronchoboyuco
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unfortunately it's too late to throw some new parts in there on my suggestion, but I am lucky in that the SA came back and said the flywheel would be covered. Thanks very much for the info, its always nice to have a little knowledge-ammo in the pocket for situations like this (when I'm just so far out of my element!).