Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

Replaced High Pressure Fuel Pump-Now Shows P0001 DTC

Old 11-13-2018, 05:49 PM
groesi
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Replaced High Pressure Fuel Pump-Now Shows P0001 DTC

The car is a 2008 MCS with R56 and 91000 miles. It started having cold start issues (stumbling on start in the morning) and misfire codes (I use DashCommand), which went on for a couple of months. When it hesitated while driving, I decided that it was time to replace the HPFP after reading on this forum and elsewhere. I followed DIY instructions on this site and at Pelican Parts. I also replaced both fuel lines as recommended. The new pump and fuel lines were from Pelican Parts. My first attempt to start after the replacement failed as the inlet connector of the low pressure fuel line to the fuel tube from the tank wasn't connected properly and spilled gas on the floor. After fiddling, got it to snap in, but startup failed again. No spilled gas, but there is now a new P0001 DTC for "Fuel Volume Regulator Control Circuit/Open".

This has me stumped. I'm not a mechanic, but I'm usually pretty good with jobs I decide to take on. Did I do something wrong in putting things back together? Time to take it to a shop or can you see something straightforward to check that I can do. I don't want to get into the weeds troubleshooting or I may get in over my head. Any suggestions much appreciated.

Thanks for reading.

Old 11-14-2018, 06:53 AM
MiniToBe
6th Gear
Received 427 Likes on 393 Posts
Did you make sure the plug is connected on the HPFP?

Clear codes amd try again. Does the code come back? If the car is drivable, take it for a spin, short distance, perhaps the ECU needs to readjust for the new values.

Old 11-14-2018, 05:19 PM
groesi
1st Gear
Thanks for the reply. It was plugged in. I'll double check the connection tomorrow, then try again.

Old 12-03-2018, 09:40 PM
groesi
1st Gear
Update: After letting it sit overnight, the car started; sputtered at first, then settled down.

The hardest part of the job for me was attaching the flexible inlet fuel line to the fuel tube coming from the tank. I couldn't reach the area from the engine bay and had to access the connection from below by raising the driver side of the car. I also had to the connect the two lines one-handed because I couldn't get a second hand into the space. Getting the clips to engage was a test of patience. The rest of the job was attention to detail and having the right tools.

Old 12-04-2018, 09:19 AM
PEneoark
2nd Gear
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by groesi
Update: After letting it sit overnight, the car started; sputtered at first, then settled down.

The hardest part of the job for me was attaching the flexible inlet fuel line to the fuel tube coming from the tank. I couldn't reach the area from the engine bay and had to access the connection from below by raising the driver side of the car. I also had to the connect the two lines one-handed because I couldn't get a second hand into the space. Getting the clips to engage was a test of patience. The rest of the job was attention to detail and having the right tools.
Oh you can reach it from the engine compartment. I have short arms and was able to do it on Saturday. I'm short too, so you would have had a good laugh watching me essentially climb in there lol

Old 12-04-2018, 10:02 AM
groesi
1st Gear
Glad that you were do it from the engine bay; a video of you in the car could have been helpful, maybe entertaining as well. I saw that Pelican Parts also mentioned that the connection was accessible from the top. I tried that first, but I couldn't navigate my arms to the right spot without removing more components. Bruises and scratches attest to that. I stopped removing things after getting all the air filter housing components and hoses off. It would have been helpful if Mini had angled the fuel tube up and extended it closer to the HPFP.

Old 12-04-2018, 10:06 AM
PEneoark
2nd Gear
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by groesi
Glad that you were do it from the engine bay; a video of you in the car could have been helpful, maybe entertaining as well. I saw that Pelican Parts also mentioned that the connection was accessible from the top. I tried that first, but I couldn't navigate my arms to the right spot without removing more components. Bruises and scratches attest to that. I stopped removing things after getting all the air filter housing components and hoses off. It would have been helpful if Mini had angled the fuel tube up and extended it closer to the HPFP.
Let me actually clarify what was done. Stock air box was completely removed first. We could not detach it from the top. We had to detach it from underneath the car. But from the under side, we could not get it attached, and that's when I had to climb in there from the top lol

But I agree with you with the angle of the hard line. It was a royal PITA, and they could have positioned it better.

Old 12-05-2018, 09:41 AM
groesi
1st Gear
Looks like we did the same thing up to the point of attaching the flexible line to the fuel tube from the tank from below, which I was able to do. After several attempts trying attach the new line, I played around with the original one I had just removed to see what it would take to make the clips open and close. That allowed me to understand how to manipulate the new one so it would attach (all one-handed as mentioned above in my OP). Also, to remove the original line from the HPFP, I used hose pliers to push in the tabs, but still managed to mangle the fitting. I think being attached for more than 10 years caused it to burn on, and it took a little bit of wrist action to break it free. So, good that I had decided to replace the fuel lines as recommended and had the replacement on hand. I add these details in case another DIYer is replacing the pump for the first time and could benefit from this experience.