Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Banging on my mini

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2017, 12:18 PM
DamnCampers
3rd Gear
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Banging on my mini

For those just getting arriving here is my intro thread where I talked about what was done and what I had to do. I'm moving here as it is no longer an intro thread.
https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...rst-r53-2.html

I got my mini back from the dealer after I took it there to diagnose an issue with the car not starting and to get a full list of what I need to work on. They got me for the cost of a new key plus programming. Before they could get me for more, as they said the ignition switch was bad, I picked up my car and figured I'd address the issues myself as their rates for somethings were insane.

My list of repairs per the dealer are as follows:
  1. Crankshaft position sensor seal
  2. Oil pan gasket
  3. Oil filter housing gasket/O-ring
  4. Front drive axle shafts (both sides)
  5. Front lower control arm bushings cracked
  6. Front struts
  7. Ignition coil
Now I highly doubt both sides of the drive axle needs to be replaced as the passanger side was just replaced less the 1000 miles ago when I did the harmonic balancer. I've already ordered the new ignition switch, oil housing seal, and crankshaft position seal.

Now I have other issues to track down as the day after getting my car back it started to have issues running. It started off with the ABS and DSC light coming on, followed my loss of illumination of the clock, radio cutting out, tach stopped working, speedometer freezing. This all happen while driving and it would randomly clear up then come back even after pulling over and cycling the engine. Called the dealer as they were the only ones to work on it since the starting issue. They claim that all the issues I'm experiencing is due to the bad ignition switch and that because I declined to have them replace it I'm on my own.

The car had to be towed back home and is now sitting in the garage while I wait for parts to come in. To rule out any issues with the battery I've thrown it on the charger to get it back up all the way.

Last edited by DamnCampers; 12-08-2017 at 12:25 PM.
Old 12-11-2017, 04:01 PM
Derek86
6th Gear
Received 117 Likes on 103 Posts
Re: Banging on my mini

Originally Posted by DamnCampers
For those just getting arriving here is my intro thread where I talked about what was done and what I had to do.
I mean...if you HAVE to do it, make sure it is somewhere secluded so you don't get caught with your pants down.

Old 12-11-2017, 10:16 PM
DamnCampers
3rd Gear
Well I rather not wear pants to begin with. It makes sticking to the leather seats that much easier. Now finding a good place to put the wallet, well thats a different story.

Old 12-12-2017, 10:24 AM
Zsm
4th Gear
Received 97 Likes on 80 Posts
Perhaps the dealer techs were messing with the wires under the dash? Yanking and pulling on the ignition switch perhaps?

I found this thread, might help you with the lights. Sounds like a bad or a short in a wire under the dash...

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...t-working.html

Old 12-12-2017, 12:23 PM
DamnCampers
3rd Gear
I'm hoping its just a wire that got pinched. The battery has been disconnecting and sitting on the charger for the last couple days. I'm not worried about over charging the battery as my charger has a maintience charge mode. New switch should arrive tomorrow and then I'll know if I'm going to be looking for a short.

Old 12-28-2017, 11:10 AM
DamnCampers
3rd Gear
Juat an update. It ended up being the switch and battery. The battery was low enough that it couldn't provide enough juice while running. The faulty switch was also playing havoc w8th the car. After charging the battery and installing the new switch the car started right up.

Old 01-29-2018, 12:35 AM
DamnCampers
3rd Gear
Car was running fine up until a week ago. It died out and wouldn't start. Cranked over fine just wouldn't catch. Towed home and got it in the garage. Looked.around and found that there was a number of items that I could fix or replace to ensure that it was going to start. Ordered parts and had to wait for their arrival and the weekend.

Parts came in and got all installed today. Replaced the fuel filter, fuel pump, coil, plugs and wires. Thank you the team at WayMotorworks who got these parts out right away as well as a member who had an extra fuel pump. Started up no problem to make sure everything was working. Didn't get a chance to take it out yet as I reek of gas. I had to reach into the tank and retrieve all the lines that i disconnected doing the fuel pump.

The following users liked this post:
WayMotorWorks (01-30-2018)
Old 01-29-2018, 12:39 AM
DamnCampers
3rd Gear
Btw for some reason the plugs pulled out were Champion 3344. They didn't look that bad, but the old coil was pretty bad.