Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

Car turns over but won't start.

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2017, 12:09 PM
NeonLed
3rd Gear
Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts
Car turns over but won't start.

The car is a 2009 MCS r56 Manual. So this all started the beginning of November. I replaced the trunk lid grip since the rubber was ripped and the switch didn't work. About 3 days later the car would turn over but wouldn't start. It kept coming up with a ! inside a triangle and the ccid 206 "Engine Start on next Press". I couldn't find any codes with dashcommand or torque app. So I pulled the negative side of the battery off for 30 mins and it started right up with no problem. I then didn't have an issue for a week and a half but now its back. I ended up just replacing the clutch switch but it started up then just died after 20 seconds or so, as if you just press the Start/Stop button. I ended up buying a schwaben scan tool from ECS which brought me to these codes.
a0b1 - input, selector-lever position. implausible
303e dme - no coding
I got it to start last night but it shut off after 20 secs again.
I tested the clutch switch with the tool and it's working just fine. The fuel rail pressure is 75 psi and I can hear the fuel pump prime when I open the door. I also tried to start it on the stock map and map B from the tune, and makes no difference.

Old 11-27-2017, 10:58 PM
NeonLed
3rd Gear
Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts
{Update}
So I have tracked it down to the clutch switch. The Car Access System (CAS) is getting a signal that the clutch is being pushed down, but the DME is not getting a signal for some reason. I had the car started, running and driving Saturday evening without a problem. Went ahead and washed car since I was able to get it was out of the garage. Started it back up pulled it in and then it just cut out like pressing the Start/Stop button. I've checked the all the fuses in the passenger foot well, as well as the fuses and relays next to the DME. I'm going to make a jumper wire from the switch to the pin on the connector to the DME to see if the wire is the problem. If anyone knows how to bypass the wire to the DME, I'm all ears. From what I've read on BMW forums its for cruise control. Here's the wiring diagram for it if anyone wants to look into it https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/r...switch/cmFTrxH