Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Swapped Suspension Parts - Need to clear trifecta

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2017, 04:47 PM
fullmoonguru
2nd Gear
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Swapped Suspension Parts - Need to clear trifecta

I swapped brakes and suspension parts between 2004 & 2006 R53's and now have trifecta lights on both cars. Have tried resetting TPMS & ECU on both cars but no joy. No problems before the swap. One had the battery disconnected, the other not.

So in this case there should be no bad wheel sensors because they weren't bad before swapping. Any tips?

Need to at least have the 2006 lights off temporarily to pass inspection.

Old 11-12-2017, 05:06 PM
CSP
5th Gear
Received 38 Likes on 37 Posts
First thing is double check all work and sensors. Make sure everything is connected properly and that wiring is still in tact. It's possible that it's old and brittle and possibly broke in the move. Beyond that, hopefully someone who's dealt with the trifecta can chime in.

Old 11-12-2017, 05:25 PM
Whine not Walnuts
OVERDRIVE
Received 625 Likes on 554 Posts
Moving you to Stock Problems/Issues.

Old 11-12-2017, 05:43 PM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
Received 757 Likes on 618 Posts
Something must have gotten damaged during the swap as there is no reason for the light to come on just from a suspension swap.

Most likely a wheel speed sensor. Could have just hit the wire with a hammer and internally damaged it. Need to read your codes out and that will tell you which one it is.

We've seen this before so we keep the sensors in stock.

HOTCHKIS | DDM | CRAVEN | AKRAPOVIC | NM ENGINEERING | MEGAN | FORGE | IE | OS GIKEN | POWERFLEX and more
Old 12-05-2017, 06:02 PM
fullmoonguru
2nd Gear
Thanks. I did find that the wire on the right side had been rubbing on the steel braided brake line and you could see the copper. It wasn't showing lights on the other car but hey, it's a problem. So I bought two new sensors and still the lights. So I pulled them back out to check for cleanliness, checked the plugs, all good.

If it matters, I have the ABS and traction control light on, and then almost immediately upon driving, the tire light comes on.

So this has to be the FRONT sensors, right? Not the rear?

Also, in case it matters, one of the reasons for the swap was that the other car had aluminum R56 trailing arms in the rear. Different sensors.

Yeah so getting a code so I at least know which side I'm looking at would be good. I checked with my ebay OBD2 module and Torque but no-go. So question: Can I download INPA for free or reasonable cost and use my other ebay OBD2 USB adapter to get the codes? When I search for INPA I seem to see all the scam download links.

This is getting really frustrating because, due to personal issues, this has been a REALLY long build. I FINALLY got back in the garage to finish it and now this unexpected problem. And because the build was so long it's not registered and I can't get it registered until it's inspected and I can't get it inspected because these lights are on - aaaargghh!

Old 12-07-2017, 11:23 AM
Duaneo
2nd Gear
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Inpa

I did a full suspension bushing refresh, and after that found that I had a bad wheel speed sensor.

I recently got my INPA setup working. There are a couple of guides that you can find on NAM, but the software is lacking. I found that this google drive has the software you need:

https://drive.google.com/drive/u/0/f...zVRSUxIRzhYTms

I also found that for the R53, you need to bridge pins 7&8 on your USB OBD2 device. I believe that it's not the case for R56 and newer.

I was able to show the real time speed sensors with INPA and determine that my front left was at fault.

While you have the software up and running, go in and change some parameters with NCSExpert and tweak things like door locking, comfort open and close for windows, driver window auto up, etc.

Cheers,
Duane

Old 12-08-2017, 07:31 AM
fullmoonguru
2nd Gear
Thanks Duane!

Old 02-26-2018, 02:20 PM
fullmoonguru
2nd Gear
It turned out to be one of the rear sensors. It's a really tight fit for the wire grommet on the shock and I think I cracked on the wire more than I should have getting it in/out. Those wires are VERY thin inside the casing.