Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

P1242 after supercharger service

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2017, 09:18 AM
romero.riche
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
P1242 after supercharger service

Hey guys!

So, did my first supercharger service. I tell you what, it was a million times easier than I thought! However, it does help to have proper tools! The pulley side was completely dry, unfortunately! It's been accelerating so much quicker now!

So, after putting everything back together my check engine light comes on and is throwing a P1242. I've done some reading, but just so shocked as to what the cause would be. I have a 15% reduced SC pulley on. I wonder now that the SC is oiled up and providing more boost, if this is causing the MAP sensor to be thrown off.

Any ideas??

I didn't mention the idling issue that accompanied the code. The idle drop down at idle or it may even go up a bit.

Last edited by romero.riche; 11-13-2017 at 02:00 AM. Reason: Missed important detail
Old 11-11-2017, 10:57 AM
Whine not Walnuts
OVERDRIVE
Received 625 Likes on 554 Posts
Check you bypass valve. Thinking that code is excessive boost on deceleration.

Old 11-11-2017, 11:06 AM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
Received 757 Likes on 618 Posts
Likely a gasket or seal leak of some kind. A smoke test is a great way to check.

HOTCHKIS | DDM | CRAVEN | AKRAPOVIC | NM ENGINEERING | MEGAN | FORGE | IE | OS GIKEN | POWERFLEX and more
Old 11-13-2017, 02:21 AM
romero.riche
1st Gear
Originally Posted by r53coop
Check you bypass valve. Thinking that code is excessive boost on deceleration.
I'll check this out after the smoke test. If there's no leak, then I think this is definitely the issue.

Old 11-13-2017, 02:26 AM
romero.riche
1st Gear
Originally Posted by WayMotorWorks
Likely a gasket or seal leak of some kind. A smoke test is a great way to check.
I'll definitely give this a shot next weekend.

youtu.be/UcDxhHbq9yw

I recorded this video while I was trying to diagnose my braking issue. Stiff pedal with no leaks made me think of a booster issue, then a possible vacuum leak issue. I heard this hissing sound that was hard to distinguish between just a normal sounding engine and an actual leak. Still not sure. If anything, my guess is just a failing brake booster.

Anyways...

My guess is that if there's no leak anywhere, it may be the bypass valve. I wish I would have looked at that while everything was apart!