Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

Volume Control Solenoid, is there an extended warranty service for this issue?

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2017, 03:16 PM
Jan Poole
1st Gear
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Volume Control Solenoid, is there an extended warranty service for this issue?

I have seen there was a service bulletin for this issue but was hoping since it is such a common issue that an extended warranty service had been issued???

So far not really happy that every time we take our 2011 MC Countryman in for an oil change we end up spending $1500 on it

Old 11-07-2017, 03:44 PM
R56devotion
3rd Gear
Received 36 Likes on 34 Posts
The Vanos Solenoid? OR the Vanos cam sprocket? one is cheap, the other is not!

Old 11-07-2017, 04:35 PM
Jan Poole
1st Gear
Originally Posted by R56devotion
The Vanos Solenoid? OR the Vanos cam sprocket? one is cheap, the other is not!
they told me it was the volume control solenoid the repair is $600, about, we are having new brake pads and a service(oil change and other service related items) also those things we knew about and were fine with. This leak was not expected and since it has only been 3000 miles since last service which was $1600 for repairs

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/20...44680-8464.pdf

Old 11-07-2017, 05:00 PM
R56devotion
3rd Gear
Received 36 Likes on 34 Posts
So the Vanos solenoid is visible on the outside of the engine block. The timing chain tensioner is also on the outside. These both leak and are easily addressed.

The cam sprocket vanos and the oil pump solenoid referenced in your SIM are internal. The sprocket is under the valve cover and the oil pump solenoid is inside of the oil pan. Your oil pan is leaking? They would have no visible way of knowing whether your oil pump was leaking inside the oil pan.

I have read the SIM you posted - thank you for posting that. Just confused how they came up with that quote based on " it leaking".

Old 11-07-2017, 05:14 PM
Jan Poole
1st Gear
Originally Posted by R56devotion
So the Vanos solenoid is visible on the outside of the engine block. The timing chain tensioner is also on the outside. These both leak and are easily addressed.

The cam sprocket vanos and the oil pump solenoid referenced in your SIM are internal. The sprocket is under the valve cover and the oil pump solenoid is inside of the oil pan. Your oil pan is leaking? They would have no visible way of knowing whether your oil pump was leaking inside the oil pan.

I have read the SIM you posted - thank you for posting that. Just confused how they came up with that quote based on " it leaking".
when he showed it to me it is on the passenger side right under the engine and they are concerned about it entering the wiring harness and causing more damage

Old 11-07-2017, 10:28 PM
squawSkiBum
Received 302 Likes on 223 Posts
Mine was taken care of under warranty. I don't know if there is extended warranty for this, there should be. Talk with the service manager, this was a common problem.

Old 11-08-2017, 07:20 AM
Jan Poole
1st Gear
$1348.02

529.80 was the Solenoid Repair Kit and labor.

I will be writing a letter to Mini since this is a well know issue and see if they will offer anything.

Looking forward to Spring oil change, NOT