Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

Shifter not centering

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2017, 07:08 AM
idickers
3rd Gear
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Shifter not centering

I just finished changing the clutch in our 2009 Clubman S, and after reassembling everything the shifter will not center. It shifts gears, but seems like it is lacking a return spring to center the shift lever when placed in neutral. Is there a spring or a fitting I can look for that might explain this problem?

Last edited by idickers; 10-29-2017 at 07:00 AM.
Old 10-29-2017, 01:17 PM
oldbrokenwind
6th Gear
Received 201 Likes on 172 Posts
Sounds more like a linkage problem --- the two cables on top of the transmission. Springs, etc. are all inside the tranny. Try disconnecting the cables (at the tranny, not the shifter) and see if the tranny levers work OK. Might also have something binding the cables.

Old 10-29-2017, 06:05 PM
timski
4th Gear
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Just had this same exact problem.
Luckily I have two R56’s so I can look at other when taking one car part.
Yeah, at the end of the two linkages on top of the trans there is a little shaft that has a gear on it I had removed it when I pulled the transmission. Once it was positioned correctly the shifter worked properly again.
Basically my shifter felt like it was not aligned correctly and I could not shift through the gears as usual.