P0128 ODB code - North American Motoring

Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

P0128 ODB code

Old 10-13-2017, 10:56 AM
Neutral

P0128 ODB code

I have had the P0128 code (Coolant Temp Below Thermostat Regulating Temperature) in my mini r53 2006.

Friends, in December I changed the thermostat and expansion tank and just today I turned on the Service Engine Check Light. What do you advise me?
Sorry for my English

Thanks
Old 10-16-2017, 06:46 AM

OK if it is the SERVICE ENGINE and not the EML, then there is an emissions issue. The p0128 could be a low coolant level.
Old 10-16-2017, 07:57 AM
4th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjavila16 View Post
I have had the P0128 code (Coolant Temp Below Thermostat Regulating Temperature) in my mini r53 2006. Friends, in December I changed the thermostat and expansion tank and just today I turned on the Service Engine Check Light. What do you advise me?
When you replaced your thermostat, did you replace it with the stock 91C (195F) version, or the optional cooler 82C (180F) version that some use when racing? If the 'cooler' version, the P0128 code can result; the fix would be to replace with the stock thermostat.

How does your coolant level look? It should be at the half-way mark of the tank with engine off and cold (check with light placed on top of tank; see below). If it's low, the P0128 code can result.

If the above checks out, look to see if the coolant temp sensor is still connected.

------
Old 10-16-2017, 01:39 PM
Neutral

Thanks for you advice r53coop and AoxoMoxoA.

AoxoMoxoA, I don't know what thermostat install in my mini, the thermostat is aftermarket. Checking with the scanner the fan turns on at 109 C, but when I turn on the AC, the fan turns on every moment and the temperature is between 87C and 90C.

The coolant level is like your photo and the temperature sensor is OK and connected. Other question is: What temperature should the fan turn on? and the stock thermostat (91C) means the fan turn on when the temperature up to 92C.

Again thank you and apologies for my bad English
Old 10-16-2017, 02:58 PM
4th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjavila16 View Post
Other question is: What temperature should the fan turn on? and the stock thermostat (91C) means the fan turn on when the temperature up to 92C.
​​
Check Thermostat:

Thermostat is wide open at 196F (91C).

​When cold engine first comes up to 195F (90C), you should see the temperature cycle down from 195F (90C), to 189F (87C) as the thermostat opens, then it will go back up again until the temp rises beyond.

If it's not cycling, you have a faulty thermostat.

Check Fan:

Let engine idle while you watch the temp rise.

At 221F (105C), Lo-Speed fan comes on, then turns off at 214F (101C).

At 234F (112C), Hi-Speed fan comes on, then reverts to Lo-Speed @ 227F (108C).

If temp gets to 238F (114C) and still no fan, turn engine off.

* It should be noted that if the A/C is on, the fan will cycle on and off regardless of coolant temperature

Tags
expansion tank, r53, thermostat