Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

In need of help with clutch problems R56 coupe hatch s turbo

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2017, 04:24 PM
Joemurdough
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
In need of help with clutch problems R56 coupe hatch s turbo

So my clutch decided to feel a little soft and when it is hotter out, I’m in Arizona. There’s no grinding of any gears and no bad sounds coming from my clutch at all. I’m just trying to figure out if I should bleed the slave cylinder and replace the clutch pedal due to it popping when you push have way down on it before assuming the clutch being bad. Due to financial issues I’m just trying to get feedback. So please I could use any advice possible

Old 10-09-2017, 07:21 AM
Scudder44
4th Gear
Received 67 Likes on 62 Posts
I would suggest changing the hydraulic fluid (brakes and clutch use the same system) for the whole system if it has not been done. Should be done 2 yearly. Use DOT4 fluid from a new bottle and DO NOT let the reservoir tank go empty or you will suck air into the system. Use a presurised bleed system or two people, I say two people for non pressurised because one has to push the pedal when you have the bleed nipple open and hold it until you have shut the bleed nipple, if they release the pedal before it has been closed you risk drawing air in via the nipple. So, you open nipple then say 'clutch in and hold', close the nipple/valve, 'clutch off' and repeat until all air bubbles stop and clear fluid comes down whatever clear tube you are using, check reservoir regularly. You might know all this already but best to detail it.
Secondly, check above the clutch pedal, there is a 'clutch assist spring' that returns the pedal when releasing your foot pressure, this spring can break. Symptoms I had with this was bumpy gear changes, kangaroo style lurching and a 'clunk' from the engine bay.

Last edited by Scudder44; 10-09-2017 at 07:29 AM.
Old 10-09-2017, 10:47 AM
Joemurdough
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the advice I will try that first. When the clutch feels normal I have the issue of sometimes when I’m shifting it will catch halfway through the clutch being released and sometimes it’s right at the end of being released