Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

Coolant leak

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2017, 02:22 PM
wvmtnbiker
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Coolant leak

Help. I’m looking to purchase a 2011 Clubman S and we test drove it yesterday. Upon returning to the dealership, I noticed green coolant dripping from about the center of the engine. Just a drip, not pouring.
Nothing wet on top that I could see. Nothing below wet either. It kinda just quit quickly but also maybe the engine was cooling down.

Flow MINI of Raleigh, NC suggested a CRACKED OIL FILTER HOUSING????
The tech said coolant lines run through or around the housing?????

The last oil change per Car Fax was completed at an Oil Express Why????
The tech also said the oil filter housing is plastic, so I’m wondering did those idiots over tighten the filter?

The tech said it’s an eight hour job to replace and I know with the deal I got or will get, they won’t spend the money to repair. And I won’t buy the car if they won’t.

Ideas anyone? The dealership is going to inspect visually per my new found knowledge and will hold the car until they do. Maybe it’s even more simple as the car has been well maintained. Not buying a pig in the poke.

Thanks.

Old 10-03-2017, 09:37 PM
scott13
2nd Gear
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
These cars are known for coolant leaks at the thermostat housing. From what you describe this sounds like the problem. Don't buy until the problem is found and corrected.

Old 10-04-2017, 05:54 AM
R56devotion
3rd Gear
Received 36 Likes on 34 Posts
Could also be the thermostat housing above the transmission. I have seen quotes for the oil filter housing job approach $1300 parts/labor. Not something a tech should be guessing at. Get in there with a flash light and a coolant pressure tester - you can determine how you spend your money better than a tech that says “ they all leak there”.
not a deal killer either way in my mind. If you like the car, if it’s accident and rust free and if it’s well optioned- there is a lot to love about this model regardless of the few faults. Enjoy!!

Old 10-05-2017, 07:26 PM
wvmtnbiker
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Problem found

Originally Posted by R56devotion
Could also be the thermostat housing above the transmission. I have seen quotes for the oil filter housing job approach $1300 parts/labor. Not something a tech should be guessing at. Get in there with a flash light and a coolant pressure tester - you can determine how you spend your money better than a tech that says “ they all leak there”.
not a deal killer either way in my mind. If you like the car, if it’s accident and rust free and if it’s well optioned- there is a lot to love about this model regardless of the few faults. Enjoy!!
Yes, I took it to a very reputable MINI shop here in Columbia, SC. He did as you suggested. Pressure test revealed cracked stat housing. He did a complete vehicle inspection too and it passed with flying colors.
The car is wonderful to drive. Extremely well maintained. Paint is fabulous. No nicks, dents, chips or anything. Brand new Bridgestone RF tires, new brakes, tons of MINI service records and it’s British Racing Green!
The dealer is going to fix the leak at their expense! And they agreed to my price terms. Seems they want my Honda Accord more than the MINI.
Thanks.

Old 10-05-2017, 07:48 PM
scott13
2nd Gear
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Enjoy your new MINI !

Old 10-05-2017, 08:00 PM
R56devotion
3rd Gear
Good detective work.added bonus is that the coolant temp sensor is included in the replacement thermostat housing. One less sensor to worry about later on. Glad that you didn’t fall down for the ‘ ole “ oil filter console” nonsense from the other tech. Sounds like a well optioned car And great color. Post up when it’s all fixed. Have fun!!!!

Last edited by R56devotion; 10-05-2017 at 08:08 PM.
Old 10-05-2017, 08:05 PM
R56devotion
3rd Gear
Parts pictures

Thermostat housing on drivers side of the engine above transmission
Oil filter housing and oil cooler