Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

Rich at idle lean off idle

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2017, 06:27 PM
MiniCooper_S
3rd Gear
Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
The only other thing I can think of is fuel injectors leaking as suggested on another thread so I’m probably just going to replace those as well.

Old 10-12-2017, 10:07 AM
cornjuice
Banned
Received 38 Likes on 36 Posts
has the head ever been off for cleaning (intake tract, valve stems etc)?

Old 10-12-2017, 04:09 PM
MiniCooper_S
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by MiniCooper_S
Thank you for the words of encouragement! The peculiar thing is that the same issues existed before and after the timing chain replacement. I’m willing to try anything though. I’ll see if I can rent the timing set and try that this weekend.
On second thought, I’m going to take it back up there and get them to do it since the timing chain was swapped at Mini and I want to make sure I take full advantage of their warranty for the repairs.

Old 10-12-2017, 04:12 PM
R56devotion
3rd Gear
Received 36 Likes on 34 Posts
The cam bolts are single use. So even if you have to buy those, everything else can be adjusted. It won’t take them long to do.

Old 10-12-2017, 09:13 PM
sickcrewcab
1st Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you are taking it to the dealer, have them test the crankcase pressure. They just take your oil fill cap off, and they have one they put on with a gauge. The spec is 38mBar. If it is over that it tells you that the PCV (valve cover) is bad. TSB - SI M11 07 08 if you give it a google search.

Old 10-13-2017, 03:13 PM
MiniCooper_S
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by cornjuice
has the head ever been off for cleaning (intake tract, valve stems etc)?
it had a walnut blasting done about 10k mi ago but nothing more than that.

Originally Posted by R56devotion
The cam bolts are single use. So even if you have to buy those, everything else can be adjusted. It won’t take them long to do.
They went ahead and replaced the cam bolts and Vanos sprocket even though on the original work order it says they already did that.

Originally Posted by sickcrewcab
If you are taking it to the dealer, have them test the crankcase pressure. They just take your oil fill cap off, and they have one they put on with a gauge. The spec is 38mBar. If it is over that it tells you that the PCV (valve cover) is bad. TSB - SI M11 07 08 if you give it a google search.
I’ll have to get them to try this. Thanks!

Old 10-13-2017, 05:15 PM
MiniCooper_S
3rd Gear
To be honest they’re being pretty cool now since it’s my bazillionth visit for the same issue and I haven’t lost it. They’re going to let me swap out my maf with a spare they have to see if that changes anything.

Old 10-16-2017, 09:58 AM
MiniCooper_S
3rd Gear
Breaking news: I fear my mini may be on its last leg. Today I was cruising on the highway at about 75mph when power cut all of the sudden and as I slowed down I could tell there was something seriously wrong. By the time I limped it into a bank parking lot about a mile down the highway there was a noticeable misfire and the car was shaking violently so I hooked up my scanner to see what was going on. There was a misfire on 1 and 3 so I pulled the plugs to inspect. #1 and #3 plug were wet with what seemed to be oil or oil and fuel. I cleaned them and swapped them with 2 and 4 to see if there was a change. Still same misfire on 1 and 3. I then swapped the coil packs and the same issue occurred. Upon further inspection looking down through the spark plug hole I can see a few small flakes of metal. Looks like I blew a piston ring or spun a bearing somewhere. Damnit!

Last edited by MiniCooper_S; 10-16-2017 at 10:00 AM. Reason: Spelling error
Old 10-16-2017, 10:28 AM
sickcrewcab
1st Gear
Breaking news: I fear my mini may be on its last leg. Today I was cruising on the highway at about 75mph when power cut all of the sudden and as I slowed down I could tell there was something seriously wrong. By the time I limped it into a bank parking lot about a mile down the highway there was a noticeable misfire and the car was shaking violently so I hooked up my scanner to see what was going on. There was a misfire on 1 and 3 so I pulled the plugs to inspect. #1 and #3 plug were wet with what seemed to be oil or oil and fuel. I cleaned them and swapped them with 2 and 4 to see if there was a change. Still same misfire on 1 and 3. I then swapped the coil packs and the same issue occurred. Upon further inspection looking down through the spark plug hole I can see a few small flakes of metal. Looks like I blew a piston ring or spun a bearing somewhere. Damnit!
Well since the dealer just worked on the timing gears I would make sure the cam gears didn't slip causing the valves to run into the pistons. Next step would be perform leak down and compression tests to see how bad the damage is.

Old 10-18-2017, 10:34 AM
cornjuice
Banned
timing slip is a known issue.. I would just act as if thats what happened and assume the dealer should take full responsibility for any repairs which need to occur.

*keep up posted on how it goes

Old 12-03-2017, 12:03 PM
MiniCooper_S
3rd Gear
Update: It turns out that my maf was reading high and masking the fact that my throttle body was going bad. I’ve replaced the maf and throttle body and reset adaptations. so far so good. As for the wet plugs and metal flakes I found that one of my spark plugs had a manufacturing defect and it ended up shearing off in the head. I determined that the flakes were from the threads of the plug and not the head. I was able to extract it with a bolt extractor and replace it. I also had 3 intermittently weak coil packs that I assume may have been adding to the wet plug issue. Compression and leakdown are good so I’m just going to keep an eye on the cylinders for now.

Old 12-03-2017, 12:12 PM
MiniCooper_S
3rd Gear
For anyone who needs to do a throttle body swap don’t be intimidated! You most likely won’t be able to do it with the manifold in car if you’ve got stubby hands like myself but It only took about an hour and a half to do it right. The hardest part was getting out the manifold lower support bolt. Pick up a flexible driver it will save you so much time!

Torque info and tools needed
new throttle body to old manifold 61 inch lbs
manifold studs 15 ft lbs

10mm 1/4 in drive socket
7mm 1/4 in drive socket
13 mm 3/8 drive socket
1/4 in to bit driver adapter
phillips driver bits
t25
t20
long flat screwdriver
1/4 in flexible driver
3/8-1/4 in adapter
3/8 drive torque wrench and socket wrench
6 in extension

Old 12-03-2017, 12:55 PM
MiniCooper_S
3rd Gear

Best 17 bucks I’ve spent on my mini it can take a good amount of torque and it’s great for hose clamps and tight spots.

Old 09-02-2018, 06:30 AM
Machine
2nd Gear
Did the TB solve your problem? I have done coils, plugs, media blasting, maf cleaning, new valve cover and still get the reduced power, then CEL (P2188). Sensors seem fine, I’m not one to just throw parts at it though. Are the TB’s a known issue for these?

Old 09-04-2018, 08:01 PM
MiniCooper_S
3rd Gear
Still running good!

The throttle body was the culprit it’s still running well months later!

Old 09-12-2018, 03:40 PM
Machine
2nd Gear
Any idea what was wrong with it? One would think you could clean it?

Old 09-12-2018, 04:10 PM
MiniCooper_S
3rd Gear
It has something to do with the electronics in it. They get out of sync and lie to the ecu about throttle position but it doesn’t show a code for that because it thinks the hardware is still working properly. That’s why you get fuel trim codes, o2 codes etc.

Old 09-12-2018, 04:17 PM
MiniCooper_S
3rd Gear
If you’ve done all of that and only get the p2188 code it’s probably either a bad throttle body, leaking injectors, bad upstream o2 sensor or worst case scenario valves/timing. Do you have access to a scan tool? If so post a freeze frame of your mini at idle and note the temperature outside

Old 09-12-2018, 04:20 PM
MiniCooper_S
3rd Gear
Also it wouldn’t hurt to take it to a decent mini shop at least for diagnosis

Old 09-17-2018, 01:02 PM
Machine
2nd Gear
It has something to do with the electronics in it. They get out of sync and lie to the ecu about throttle position but it doesn’t show a code for that because it thinks the hardware is still working properly. That’s why you get fuel trim codes, o2 codes etc.
So, I looked at some live data and noticed my Short term FT is pretty negative at higher RPM (~4k). Im still getting a P2188, and its driving me nuts. did you take apart the old TB? Or compare resistances on the new vs old?

Last edited by Machine; 09-17-2018 at 01:18 PM.
Old 09-17-2018, 05:31 PM
Machine
2nd Gear
[QUOTTiming set was just done and checked about 500 mies after a valve cover replacement

E=MiniCooper_S;4419923]
If you’ve done all of that and only get the p2188 code it’s probably either a bad throttle body, leaking injectors, bad upstream o2 sensor or worst case scenario valves/timing. Do you have access to a scan tool? If so post a freeze frame of your mini at idle and note the temperature outside
[/QUOTE]

Old 09-17-2018, 06:16 PM
cornjuice
Banned
possible causes..

*stuck or blocked fuel injector (either too much fuel, or a blocked injector causing timing retard - will make you run rich)
*fuel pressure regulator issue (high pressure condition creating rich AFR)
*faulty O2 sensor
*faulty MAF sensor

Im betting on the fuel injector myself.. they are prone to carbon buildup on the heads. Injector duty cycles also go up with RPM and boost.

Old 09-17-2018, 06:35 PM
Machine
2nd Gear
Can you clean them? Like pull them and either fine media blast, soak in carb cleaner or 3000 psi pressure washer or something?

Old 09-17-2018, 06:39 PM
Machine
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by cornjuice
possible causes..

*stuck or blocked fuel injector (either too much fuel, or a blocked injector causing timing retard - will make you run rich)
*fuel pressure regulator issue (high pressure condition creating rich AFR)
*faulty O2 sensor
*faulty MAF sensor

Im betting on the fuel injector myself.. they are prone to carbon buildup on the heads. Injector duty cycles also go up with RPM and boost.
spark is Advanced by 34* at around ~4000, retarded by - 1* @ 830 rpm.

Old 09-18-2018, 11:57 AM
cornjuice
Banned
timing seems normal... with your OBDII reader.. can you see levels for MAF and O2 sensor lambda?

As for your Q on the injectors.. you may be able to blast them clean certainly. I would want to have them flow checked before installation again though just to be sure.

**Separate Q - when was the last time spark plugs were pulled/inspected/torqued? You can tell whats going on in the combustion chamber pretty well by looking at the plugs for each cylinder. If you find wet plugs..or if there is buildup, the color of the buildup.. the orientation of the buildup.. these all let you know whats occurring.

The following users liked this post:
Machine (09-19-2018)