Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

How to know if friction wheel needs replacing?

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2017, 03:39 PM
solankill
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How to know if friction wheel needs replacing?

Hello, I have a 2009 Mini Cooper Base Model

My question is how do you know when you need to change the belt tensioner/friction wheel. My car was overheating and leaking from the water pump so we changed the water pump, the pulley, and the belt, but it is still over heating. When I checked, I see that the actual water pump pulley is not spinning.

Could this be a problem with the tensioner or friction wheel not being tight enough to move the pulley?

Old 09-08-2017, 07:24 PM
Tigger2011
Alliance Member
Received 214 Likes on 151 Posts
Was the release tab for the friction wheel pushed back in after changing the belts. If so pull it back out to release the friction wheel. Rotate the water pump pulley by hand. If it rotates freely push the friction wheel tab back in and start the car. If still no joy its time for a new friction wheel assy.

Old 09-09-2017, 10:40 AM
solankill
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So after closer inspection, I see that the friction wheel was the problem, and after much struggle I was finally able to get it out.

Is there an easier way to get this thing out? I lowered the engine block but only one of the bolts was easily accessible, the rest were really hard to get to and not a lot of space to work on. I am worried installing the new part will be very difficult.

Attached for your amusement is the friction wheel which is practically torn apart. (no idea how this happened), any thoughts?