Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

04 MCS: Key won't open drivers side manually

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2017, 08:17 PM
777madmax
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
04 MCS: Key won't open drivers side manually

Hi all,

Has anyone experienced this issue before? I just got home from work and now the key goes in the lock, but it won't budge. Tried locking and unlocking from the inside and it works fine, but the key won't do anything from the outside. Im forced to leave my car unlocked so I don't get locked out completely, so I obviously need to get this done ASAP so my car doesn't get ripped off. Any advice? Thanks

-Max

Old 08-17-2017, 08:59 PM
808R53
3rd Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Wd40

Sent from my iPhone using NAMotoring

Old 08-18-2017, 11:30 AM
Jimmyjamesphan
3rd Gear
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Maybe they changed the door and didn't swap over the key hole

Old 08-18-2017, 12:10 PM
Whine not Walnuts
OVERDRIVE
Received 625 Likes on 554 Posts
Gone to move you to the Stock Problems/Issues area.

This is both doors and if you a have a spare it does not work either. If only one key, then could be the key is worn and will not push the pins correctly. If both keys don't work then the pins inside the lock are bad.

Old 08-18-2017, 04:35 PM
valvashon
5th Gear
Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts
Sounds like you are using a "general, non-remote" key correct? Or is it a remote key that doesn't work?

Either way, try some graphite lock lubricant as that is very good for lock cylinders- it won't gum up or attract dirt like WD-40 will. If the lock cylinder still won't budge it's probably bad- they are not meant to be used everyday. The replacement ones are of better quality but the OEM ones were really meant for occasional use only.

Replacement ones are sold through the dealer individually and ready to go for your key- they are made to order via your VIN and set up for your key. You do not need to buy a whole new set of keys and ignition and door locks- the door cylinder is available individually.

Also, the door lock is more forgiving, so if anything is going to react negatively to a worn key it's the ignition cylinder.

Val