Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

Water Pump Replacement - 50K Miles

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2017, 12:12 PM
Wildfield
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Water Pump Replacement - 50K Miles

Interested in your opinion.

I have a 2013 R55n coming up on 50K miles. I purchased as CPO and also purchased an extended warranty and service package. At 50K, I will take it in for the routine oil/filter change plus whatever else is included under my service package.

I am thinking of also having the mechanic replace the water pump. A couple friends who have owned (older) Mini Coopers have told me that their respective water pumps failed between 50K and 60K miles. Also, I have read on various forums where others have had similar experiences.

Dealer/mechanic recommends not replacing as I should get many more miles out of the water pump.

I'm thinking of spending a little now, in an attempt to avoiding being possibly stranded roadside. Will have to pay for a water pump and labor to replace at some point...why not at 50K miles?

Interested to your hear your opinion.

Old 08-16-2017, 01:56 PM
oldbrokenwind
6th Gear
Received 201 Likes on 172 Posts
You can probably talk them into changing it, but it'll likely be on your $$$, not warranty. No way Mini's gonna pay for something that isn't broken! FWIW, my '07 pump is still OEM at 95K miles.

As for being stranded, my service pkg had towing included. Still one hell of an inconvenience, but it was covered when I used it --- death rattle.

Old 08-16-2017, 06:00 PM
AZdsrt
6th Gear
Received 57 Likes on 53 Posts
Took our 2012 S with 50k miles in to the dealer for an oil change. Got called, they said water pump was leaking and needed to be replaced. They replaced it for free under extended warranty for the pump. 2013 might qualify..

Old 08-22-2017, 09:52 AM
patpatpat
1st Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
If you have extended warranty, you should also have Mini Roadside Assistance, too. That should cover any towing charges to nearby Mini dealership.

Mine failed around 50k as well. It was replaced under warranty after I noticed my reservoir tank keeps getting low.