Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

Steering tilting slightly to the left...

Old 08-05-2017, 02:57 PM
alexs3d2
4th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Steering tilting slightly to the left...

Hi guys, my MCSa 07 steering exhibits a slight tilt to the left. The steering wheel basically leans about 5-10deg to the left and rests there. The car does seem to verge slightly to the left, especially at high speed. The steering wheel stays at that position under both acceleration and braking when I am not holding it.

I had the wheels aligned at a laser centering centre, but the result is the same. Basically they told me it was OK but did some fine tuning. I have the printout if useful...

I also tried re-calibrating the torque sensor with INPA, but again seems to make no difference. My car does not have a DSC so no steering angle sensor.

Could the problem lie with the tyres, irrespective of correct pressures?

Thanks for your help and ideas!!

Old 08-07-2017, 06:04 PM
AZdsrt
6th Gear
Received 57 Likes on 53 Posts
Yep, could be the tires. Happened to me, car drifted to the left. Had the front tires swapped over, then it drifted to the right. Bought the tires at Discount Tire, they replaced both, problem solved..

The following users liked this post:
alexs3d2 (08-08-2017)
Old 08-08-2017, 02:51 AM
alexs3d2
4th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Cool thanks for the reply.

I had the tyres for 5 years, so I guess I'm nearing the time to have them replaced. The left one had a puncture in it and was fixed years ago. After that I was abroad for a long time and that tyre lost all its pressure for some months (the other tyres lost some, but were never really flat). I suspect this might have caused some deformation which might be the culprit.

Search this Thread