Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Bad Motor Mount?

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2017, 12:15 PM
Iamtheguy
1st Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Bad Motor Mount?

Here you can see my 2003 Mini being revved by sort of 'kicking' the gas. I'm trying to demonstrate the way that the engine is vibrating, and would like to know if you think the Front Mount is bad. The dog bone and trans mount have already been replaced. I'm getting a wobble or shimmy during acceleration above 40mph, and curious if it could be this front mount. The vibration felt while doing this is the same that is felt while driving, only while driving it only occurs above 40mph. This was in first gear on jack stands.

Last edited by Iamtheguy; 08-05-2017 at 12:43 PM. Reason: detail
Old 08-05-2017, 01:26 PM
Capt_bj
OVERDRIVE
Received 281 Likes on 237 Posts
that mount is oil filled and a weak spot ... they leak ....

from the MINI MANIA description of the part:

Engine mounts allow an engine to move and absorbs most of the vibration for a smooth ride. Unfortunately, these engine mounts deteriorate over time and begins to transmit vibration into the cabin. Loose engine mounts can also affect performance by sapping the off-the-line performance.
The hydraulic engine mounts also tend to leak over time therefore reducing it's effectiveness. If you find some oily fluid residue around the hydraulic mount, it's time for a replacement!

http://new.minimania.com/part/NME766...n1-R50-R52-R53

there are solid mounts and upgrades available

http://new.minimania.com/part/NME470...s-Gen1-R50-r53

https://www.waymotorworks.com/afterm...unt-04-06.html

https://www.waymotorworks.com/early-...4-r50-r53.html

https://www.waymotorworks.com/oem-en...4-r50-r53.html

Last edited by Capt_bj; 08-05-2017 at 01:36 PM.
Old 08-05-2017, 01:38 PM
pnwR53S
6th Gear - NAM Hall of Fame
Received 389 Likes on 356 Posts
that mount is oil filled and a weak spot ... they leak ....
No it ain't on 03.

What is the dark triangle on the rubber thingy in the video? It looks like a crack but it can just be a shadow.

Old 08-05-2017, 02:17 PM
Iamtheguy
1st Gear

No fluid or evidence of any and no that is not a crack, it's a shadow. Although there is a small crack idk if it goes all the way through...

Thanks for the replies...

Old 08-05-2017, 03:21 PM
Whine not Walnuts
OVERDRIVE
Received 625 Likes on 554 Posts
Me, I would change both the upper passenger side mount and the mount under the engine. Assuming your 03 has the same "dogbone" type mount for the bottom that we have.

Also on the upper, I am thinking your mount has a strut like arm that travels back to the shock tower and is bolted in there as well. Double check that bolt. There is a mount for the trannie on the driver side but I am not aware of how that is fabricated on the early Gen1s.

Old 08-05-2017, 03:44 PM
Iamtheguy
1st Gear
Originally Posted by r53coop
Me, I would change both the upper passenger side mount and the mount under the engine. Assuming your 03 has the same "dogbone" type mount for the bottom that we have.

Also on the upper, I am thinking your mount has a strut like arm that travels back to the shock tower and is bolted in there as well. Double check that bolt. There is a mount for the trannie on the driver side but I am not aware of how that is fabricated on the early Gen1s.
yes its a dog bone and tranny mount is same on this model as well. I have replaced both already and saw no difference.

Old 08-05-2017, 04:21 PM
Capt_bj
OVERDRIVE
Received 281 Likes on 237 Posts
comment from WAY if you pull up all I linked ....

"02-04 Passenger side Engine mount for R50 R53 MINI Cooper and MINI Cooper S. As these wear out they tend to get shorter. When this happens they put extra stress on the upper and lower motor mounts. Replace it early otherwise you'll be buying all three and causing extra engine and clutch wear. As most people don't know this mount is also hydraulic filled, even though it just looks to be solid rubber. These do sometime leak so also check that"

Old 08-05-2017, 04:46 PM
Iamtheguy
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Capt_bj
comment from WAY if you pull up all I linked ....

"02-04 Passenger side Engine mount for R50 R53 MINI Cooper and MINI Cooper S. As these wear out they tend to get shorter. When this happens they put extra stress on the upper and lower motor mounts. Replace it early otherwise you'll be buying all three and causing extra engine and clutch wear. As most people don't know this mount is also hydraulic filled, even though it just looks to be solid rubber. These do sometime leak so also check that"
thanks cap! I had this thought too but great to have clarification when nothing has seemed to make any sense with this issue. Got one on order now. I Will report results

Old 08-06-2017, 05:58 PM
CSP
5th Gear
Received 38 Likes on 37 Posts
When I swapped my head, the mount looked fine on the outside. As soon as I cracked the bolt I got covered with some brown fluid. Could totally be shot. I wouldn't think an engine mount would cause a vibration on accel >40mph though. That doesn't make sense at all. But hey, stranger things...

Old 08-07-2017, 06:30 AM
Iamtheguy
1st Gear
Originally Posted by CSP
When I swapped my head, the mount looked fine on the outside. As soon as I cracked the bolt I got covered with some brown fluid. Could totally be shot. I wouldn't think an engine mount would cause a vibration on accel >40mph though. That doesn't make sense at all. But hey, stranger things...
Im afraid you're probably right. But I'm taking it one step at a time and replacing what is needed. Possible one of the axles I put in there is faulty, I read cases where that happened.

Old 08-07-2017, 05:30 PM
Iamtheguy
1st Gear

I got some more footage of different elements that I think may be the cause.

The following users liked this post:
Vitruvius (09-04-2019)
Old 08-22-2017, 07:10 PM
Iamtheguy
1st Gear
After

https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/stock-problems-issues/317448-mini-wobbles-while-accelerating-from-40-70-a-2.html#post4324333

the motor mount solved 90% of the problem!