Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Rattle @ idle, NOT affected by clutch

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2017, 07:56 PM
Madmini20
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rattle @ idle, NOT affected by clutch

Hey everyone, perhaps you guys could help me out. Recently my 2005 R53 has been making a strange rattle noise at idle. It only occurs when at idle and will go away instantly if the RPMS are raised at all. Engaging or disengaging the clutch does not make a difference. It also doesn't occur every time and can even fade out without any action on my end. I have tried to get out and find the source of the noise but once I leave the cabin I cannot hear it anymore. I have attached a short video of the noise, hopefully that helps. It sounds very similar to the noise you hear when you're getting close to stalling it or going from a stop/low speed in second. This made me think it may have something to do with the clutch. I am very confused by it's inconsistency (it can ever change depending on whether the car is on a hill).

Thanks for any help you can give. The car is running great and the noise doesn't seem to be hurting performance (power, shifting, etc). I'm currently at 120K so the car is getting up there but it has been a total dream and I can't complain much.

Attached Files
File Type: mov
Rattle .mov (4.69 MB, 75 views)
Old 07-23-2017, 05:35 AM
Whine not Walnuts
OVERDRIVE
Received 625 Likes on 554 Posts
In my time, yes I remember the time before color tv, the noise you heard when you were close to stalling was not the clutch but rather the engine bearings. I could not tell from your video what you have but remember allot of Minis have more snack, crackle and pops than a box of rice crispies. Suggest you try to get a friend involved.

How many miles on the car? Have you checked the engine mounts?

Old 07-23-2017, 07:03 AM
CSP
5th Gear
Received 38 Likes on 37 Posts
Hard to tell, but doesn't really sound metallic or like it's an engine thing. From the video it sounds more like a dash issue. Sorry I can't offer any more help :/

The following users liked this post:
Madmini20 (07-23-2017)
Old 07-23-2017, 03:38 PM
Madmini20
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by r53coop
In my time, yes I remember the time before color tv, the noise you heard when you were close to stalling was not the clutch but rather the engine bearings. I could not tell from your video what you have but remember allot of Minis have more snack, crackle and pops than a box of rice crispies. Suggest you try to get a friend involved.

How many miles on the car? Have you checked the engine mounts?
Haha I'm hoping it's just another snack, crackle pop that comes along with age! The car has 120K. Thanks for the information

Old 07-23-2017, 06:15 PM
Whine not Walnuts
OVERDRIVE
Received 625 Likes on 554 Posts
Should have said snaps, crackles and pops. They did not sell rice crispy snacks when I was kid.