Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Possible Harmonic Damper Problem?

Old 07-05-2017, 07:24 AM
fourpaws
1st Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Possible Harmonic Damper Problem?

I was doing some other work on my mini, and I noticed a problem with my harmonic damper, but I need someone with more experience then me to fill me in. I have a 2004 MCS, build date 9/2003 180k miles. However, my harmonic damper doesn't match the one from RealOEM. I have the same harmonic balancer that is shown at 3:00 in this video...

I have the belt pulled off, and was doing some other work, when I noticed that my harmonic damper seems loose. If I grab the outside of it by the top and bottom and wiggle it with light force (much like you'd do if you were testing ball joints, just with less force) I noticed I can wiggle it about 1/16th of an inch. Same thing side-to-side. When it hits the ends of travel, I hear a clunking noise, I assume it's hitting the timing chain cover. I can rotate it clockwise/CCW about 1/16th of an inch as well. I don't know how much wiggle is normal in a harmonic damper. No signs of tearing or the rubber separating.

Over the past year I've experienced a little bit of stalling at idle. When the engine is cold, the idle is automatically ~950 rpms, but once the engine gets warmed up the engine idle drop to about 700 rpms (which is normal). Once warmed up sometimes it'll stall if it's not in the right mood. I have problems for a day, and it goes away. I haven't isolated the cause of this problem, but I know my spark plugs need replacing, so I've written off the problem as that until today. No error codes. I'm currently in the middle of repairing my AC, lower engine mount, replacing the crank shaft seal and crank shaft position sensor o-ring, plugs & wires, and oil change.

If a harmonic damper replacement is in my future, any suggestions on which ones? I've seen some nice ones, but they are $400, I don't take my mini out to the track or anything.

Last edited by fourpaws; 07-05-2017 at 05:28 PM.
Old 07-05-2017, 06:11 PM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
Received 755 Likes on 617 Posts
If you can wiggle the Balancer I would consider it bad and time to go to an ATI Damper as it is the best for street car or track car.
https://www.waymotorworks.com/super-...ulley-r53.html

After you replace that I would see what problems you still have it any and diag from there.

HOTCHKIS | DDM | CRAVEN | AKRAPOVIC | NM ENGINEERING | MEGAN | FORGE | IE | OS GIKEN | POWERFLEX and more
Old 07-05-2017, 11:10 PM
fourpaws
1st Gear
Thanks for the advice. Replacement has been ordered.

Old 07-16-2017, 02:51 PM
fourpaws
1st Gear
Just a follow up... The new damper has no noticeable play in it, it feels almost solid. So if you can feel play in it, it's getting old.

However, it didn't help my problems with my engine idling roughly.

Old 07-18-2017, 12:37 PM
AoxoMoxoA
5th Gear
Received 97 Likes on 82 Posts
Originally Posted by fourpaws
Just a follow up... The new damper has no noticeable play in it, it feels almost solid. So if you can feel play in it, it's getting old.
Out of curiosity, which pulley did you go with; the stock OEM or the ATI?

Old 07-19-2017, 09:06 AM
CooperSAZ
5th Gear
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by fourpaws
Over the past year I've experienced a little bit of stalling at idle. When the engine is cold, the idle is automatically ~950 rpms, but once the engine gets warmed up the engine idle drop to about 700 rpms (which is normal). Once warmed up sometimes it'll stall if it's not in the right mood. I have problems for a day, and it goes away. I haven't isolated the cause of this problem, but I know my spark plugs need replacing, so I've written off the problem as that until today. No error codes. I'm currently in the middle of repairing my AC, lower engine mount, replacing the crank shaft seal and crank shaft position sensor o-ring, plugs & wires, and oil change.
hmmmm I had a rough idle as of last year and a weird revving at idle until my Mini warmed up. Eventually, my Mini threw a CEL that led me to replace the camshaft position sensor.

I always think ignition when I see stories like this... While you never want to throw parts at an issue without checking, I went ahead and overhauled the entire ignition system on my Mini.

This includes:

- Spark Plugs
- Spark Plug Wires
- Ignition Coil
- Camshaft position sensor (passenger side of cylinder head)
- Crankshaft position sensor (front side of engine block)

After swapping all of these items, my Mini is running like a champ now in the ignition dept. (knocks on wood) By replacing both sensors, you also shore up two potential areas for oil leaks/weeping due to the o-ring flattening out allowing oil past.

Hope that helps with the possibilities...

Search this Thread