Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

Burning oil (possible bad turbo?)

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2017, 01:06 PM
Hoover23
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Burning oil (possible bad turbo?)

I have an 07 mcs and months ago I had a really bad oil leak. I change my oil every 3000 miles and during the time of the leak I found myself putting 4qts (sometimes more) in between oil changes. Turns out it was the oil filter housing gasket, so I had that replaced. So after that I only had to put about a quart and a half in between oil changes. About a month ago I noticed I'm putting more and more oil in but it's not leaking on the ground at all and I don't smell burning oil like I did before. I'm almost at 4qts between changes again and I habe no idea why.

Today I noticed that when I put oil in the car, I took the cap off and white smoke poured out of it. The car isn't throwing any codes. It seems to run fine, maybe every now and then the turbo seems to 've a bit hesitant. Could it be the turbo? Or is it something more?

Old 06-26-2017, 01:29 PM
DneprDave
6th Gear
Received 85 Likes on 77 Posts
Take off the rubber turbocharge inlet hose and grab the center of the compressor wheel and give it a shake, it should not move either axially or radially. if there is no play in the turbo compressor wheel then it isn't your turbo that is leaking oil. Our MINI's turbochargers do not have oil seals, they rely in close tolerances in the bearings to prevent oil leaks.

Also, do a compression test, that will verify or eliminate rings or valves.

Last edited by DneprDave; 06-26-2017 at 01:34 PM.