Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

Need some opinions

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2017, 12:01 PM
spR56
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need some opinions

I have an 09 Base and am having some troubles. Went for a drive and the engine light came on around 80mph and the car wouldn't stay running at stoplights. The book refereed it as an exhaust malfunction or engine trouble something like that. Plugged the code reader in and got a cylinder 2 misfire P115c, and P0328. I switched 2 and 4 coils to see if those were problematic and still got a cylinder 2 read. I reset the codes and now I just get the knock sensor code and it barely runs. Any thoughts?

Symptoms:
Engine stalls after awhile
Rough Idle
Sounds like a pulley may be loose (rattle not squeak).

Old 06-22-2017, 12:22 PM
sikamini
6th Gear
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
What does the 2 cylinder spark plug look like?

Old 06-22-2017, 12:35 PM
spR56
Neutral
I haven't pulled the plugs yet, I am going to do that tonight to check for oil or carbon. I did just replace them not too long ago at around 97k. I have 104k now.

Old 06-23-2017, 07:12 AM
spR56
Neutral

Here are the plugs in order 4,3,2,1. #2 is shown above.

Old 06-23-2017, 08:20 AM
sikamini
6th Gear
2 and 3 are looking similar. Not surprising. 1 and 4 share the same exhaust route and 2 and 3 if you look at your exhaust manifold. Both are probably fouled a bit more than the 1 and 4 ports. I'd clean those plugs if they are relatively new. Any oil on them, it doesn't look like it? When I was cleaning my exhaust and intake ports the ones that shared were about similar in build up. When your 2 intake is open your 3 exhaust will be closed and visa versa. Same happens with the 1 and 4 cylinders. The first time a few years ago I only cleaned the intakes. While the engine ran a bunch better a slight ticking sound remained. This time I cleaned both and no more ticking sound. Just my two cents. See what happens if you clean the plugs first. Listen to the engine.

Old 06-23-2017, 08:22 AM
sikamini
6th Gear
Check for water pump leaks as well. I had some squeaking sound turned out to be my water pump going.

Old 06-23-2017, 10:34 AM
spR56
Neutral
Originally Posted by sikamini
2 and 3 are looking similar. Not surprising. 1 and 4 share the same exhaust route and 2 and 3 if you look at your exhaust manifold. Both are probably fouled a bit more than the 1 and 4 ports. I'd clean those plugs if they are relatively new. Any oil on them, it doesn't look like it? When I was cleaning my exhaust and intake ports the ones that shared were about similar in build up. When your 2 intake is open your 3 exhaust will be closed and visa versa. Same happens with the 1 and 4 cylinders. The first time a few years ago I only cleaned the intakes. While the engine ran a bunch better a slight ticking sound remained. This time I cleaned both and no more ticking sound. Just my two cents. See what happens if you clean the plugs first. Listen to the engine.
There is no leaks from the water pump, I did check this last night. Knowing that these cars are notorious for sucking in oil I've been running sea foam through the vacuum line to help the build up, sounds like with the miles on the car it might be worth doing a valve clean. This may help with the hesitation I use to have and any misfire, but I still end up with a P0328 code. What do you think about this? I know I had a rattling sound like a bad pulley for awhile, do you think the rattle from a bad pulley would be enough to set off the knock sensor?

- Playing mechanic sucks sometimes -