Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

looking for wiring/electrical diagrams for dash

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2017, 06:11 AM
Qlanger
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
looking for wiring/electrical diagrams for dash

Working on a 2004 Mini with auto trans.

I am trying to find the electrical layout for the dash wiring harness. The car right now the rear wiper will not stop running, the AC controls are dead, the radio flickers on/off, and the brightness adjustment also does not work. I thought it might be a ground issue expect that would not explain the rear wiper.
I was then told there was a water leak from the windshield about a year ago. I am thinking these circuits share a connector and they are corroded. But I do not want to rip the dash off without knowing where to look and if these circuits share anything.

Any help would be great, Thanks

Old 06-18-2017, 09:06 AM
RB-MINI
6th Gear
Received 489 Likes on 408 Posts
Does your MINI have a sunroof? The drain tubes often come loose and leak. The control module(BCM) for most of the electronics is located in the passenger footwell on the right side and often burns out or has corrosion on the connector from a drain leak.

I would check out the condition of the BCM and connector, and if any of the sunroof drain tubes have slipped off. Even if they're on, use a zip tie or hose clamp to keep them from slipping off in the future.

Also, MINI's are known to act up when the batteries are older, even if the car seems to start fine. How old is your battery?

Old 06-18-2017, 09:16 AM
1qwkmini
3rd Gear
Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts
The other place to look is the fuse panel on the driver side kick panel....pull the fuse panel out and you will likely find a bunch of corroded wires attached. It's a dumb *** place for a fuse panel especially if the car is winter driven.

Old 06-18-2017, 09:18 AM
Qlanger
Neutral
Yea it has a sunroof. I did verify its working properly. But there was a leak on the interior around the middle of the windshield.

Battery is less than a year old and test well.

Does the rear wiper go through the BCM? The AC I know does go through but does not explain the power lose and radio issues.
I'll check the BCM connectors but still like to find a copy of the electrical layout so I can see how these are all related.

Yea check the fuse panel on the drivers side. Did not see anything obvious but did not unbolt it and remove to fully inspect.

Thanks

Old 06-18-2017, 09:56 AM
RB-MINI
6th Gear
Received 489 Likes on 408 Posts
I think the BCM controls most, if not all, of the non-engine related electronics in some way. That's the first thing I would check since you don't need to get into the dash for it. It's in the same place as the fuse panel, just on the passenger side. Part of a sunroof drain leak could have crept to the middle of the windshield, but a lot of it goes straight down to the passenger footwell flooding the BCM in the process. This leak usually goes undetected because it's on the passenger side, but is often found when troubleshooting electrical issues.

Old 06-18-2017, 11:26 AM
Qlanger
Neutral
Yea I am going to pull the BCM out and check the wiring and BCM contacts.

Does anyone know where the grounds are at for this car? Any on the interior? Like to give those a look as well when doing the BCM inspection.

Old 06-18-2017, 11:37 AM
rkw
OVERDRIVE
Received 120 Likes on 105 Posts
For your reference, you can find wiring diagrams here: https://www.newtis.info/

Old 06-18-2017, 11:53 AM
pnwR53S
6th Gear - NAM Hall of Fame
Received 389 Likes on 356 Posts
Originally Posted by Qlanger
Yea I am going to pull the BCM out and check the wiring and BCM contacts.

Does anyone know where the grounds are at for this car? Any on the interior? Like to give those a look as well when doing the BCM inspection.
There are more grounding points in the Mini than you can shake a stick at. They are distributed. You will see many once you pulled the trim to get to the BCM. There are a few along the sill.