Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Another Trifecta problem

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2017, 03:42 PM
Eccentric Toast
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Another Trifecta problem

Hi Everyone,

I bought a 2005 JCW last week with the 3 lights on the dash. I've read as much as I can and have only found one thread close to what I'm experiencing. When I bought the car all 3 lights were on. I scanned the car with INPA and it was showing the front left speed sensor at fault so I replaced it with a genuine Bosch one. When I was replacing it I had a look down the hole and notice some weird chipping in the wheel bearing magnet so I took that off and found it was damaged so replaced it with an SNR wheel bearing.

Hoping that the damaged wheel bearing was the fault tightened it all up and cleared all faults. Started the car and took it for a drive and 20 meters from my house the lights come back on. Now when I start the car only the abs and traction light show when I start driving they will turn off for a brief period then all 3 lights will reappear including the tyre pressure light.

I plugged the car back into inpa and did some analogue readings and it was showing the front left wheel was jumping around speeds even while I wasn't moving I'll add a video to show this below. My question is, is this the control module, wiring or a faulty new wheel bearing /sensor?

Any help would be appreciated thanks!

Not sure this will play while embedded so if not open in new tab.

Old 06-08-2017, 03:56 PM
Whine not Walnuts
OVERDRIVE
Received 625 Likes on 554 Posts
Going to move this to the Stock Problems/Issues section. There is a recent post on a similar issue and the guy finally deduced that the new sensor was bad. Not saying this about yours but don't assume anything electrical works correctly just because you took the thing out of the box.

Sometimes this issue is battery related as low voltage drives the ECU crazy. Pretty sure you will get some others here to chime in on the issue.

Old 06-09-2017, 08:09 PM
Cenla Mini
3rd Gear
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
You may want to consider replacing all the speed sensors...I was reading about that this past week after mine came on and wouldn't go off.

Old 06-15-2017, 08:56 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 1,966 Likes on 1,766 Posts
The abs sensor is fine if its all the way in and the hole/mount is cleaned out. My guess is that the back side on the wheel bearing is damaged(which you can see a little) and the abs sensor cannot get a good read, or the sensor is not all the way in or seated. Also, check those new sensors, they are easy to crack once inserted into a rusted hole.

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ed-sensor.html

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172