Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

R56s - P0507, P0171, loose intake tubes

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2017, 08:23 PM
jacobj
1st Gear
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
R56s - P0507, P0171, loose intake tubes

Hi all,
I have a 2013 MCS and it has been intermittently throwing a CEL. It went into the body shop and I got it back this week and got the codes read and I'm getting:

P0507 Idle Air Control System RPM Higher Than Expected
P0171 System Too Lean (Bank 1)

I took a look at the intake box to see if I could notice anything major, and I noticed first that the hose from the turbo to the air intake box was loose, so I repositioned it and tightened the hose clamp. Then I realized that the tube actually bringing the cool air in was completely off on both ends. I got the front side back in but the part where it connects to the air box is difficult to get completely in, and I did not want to damage anything.

In this diagram, pieces 10 & 11 were loose which I tightened, as well as where part #9 connects to the bumper, which I also fixed. The last spot is where #7 connects to #6, which I cannot get in.

Can I force the intake tube in without any worries of damage?
I'm not sure how this could have happened, the body shop did clean the engine while they had it, and my only guess is that they forgot to tighten everything back down. But I had a CEL before I took it into the body shop.
Could this be the cause of my CEL?

Last edited by jacobj; 05-28-2017 at 09:01 PM. Reason: diagram
Old 05-28-2017, 09:30 PM
oldbrokenwind
6th Gear
Received 201 Likes on 172 Posts
My '07S is obviously different, but my equivalent items 6 & 7 fit by lining up a key on item 7 with a slot on item 6 then twisting item 1 about ¼ turn. All this with items 7, 8 ,9 assembled and item 10 removed --- to be assembled last. I'm guessing your problem is a "twist-to-lock" feature on items 6 & 7, and possibly a different assembly sequence.

And yes, a loose item 10 is very likely the cause of your CEL, engine getting un-metered air --- air not flowing thru the MAF (item 13).

Old 05-28-2017, 09:33 PM
jacobj
1st Gear
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
oldbrokenwind, Thanks for your input! I figured there was some thing more to it. I'll go and try that out.