Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

Need Advice !!! Oil light after oil change

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2017, 07:24 PM
Racinrav
1st Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Need Advice !!! Oil light after oil change

Need some help guys. Got a 2008 Mini Cooper S with a manual tranny that went in for an oil change at a quick lube place. I know bad choice:( After the oil change the red oil light randomly pops up for a split second then vanishes. Usually happens when sitting at idle waiting for a stop light. Checked oil and its full. Thought it might be the filter took it out and replaced with an OEM filter and gasket and still random red oil light pops up and flashes a few seconds then disappears again at idle. Car runs and drives fine. About to change out the sensor hoping its defective. The car did randomly flash the oil light previously when hard cornering for a second then would vanish. That random flashing is gone and replaced with it at idle when stopped. Any recommendations? Can you guys think of anything I missed?

Old 05-16-2017, 09:00 PM
f_p
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Something wrong with the oil pump?
The oil light is an indicator of low oil pressure in the system.
I suggest not driving the car until someone with some expertise on MINIs takes a look.

Old 05-16-2017, 09:26 PM
Racinrav
1st Gear
Was just thinking the same thing. Gotta get the car scanned and see what's going on. Got a friend who is a bmw mech going to hopefully some take a look with a shop scanner and hopefullly he can shed some light. My hand scanner ain't cutting it with this issue. Thanks for the input.

Old 05-17-2017, 07:07 PM
Racinrav
1st Gear
Fixed!!!! Replaced oil sensor. Seems the sensor was loose and washer was shot! 32 bucks and 15 minutes in the garage and light is gone!