Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

Could it be a fuel pump fauilre?

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2017, 03:06 PM
theateist
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Could it be a fuel pump fauilre?

I have R56 2009.
This morning when I tried to start the car, it started and then immediately died. Looks like choking. I tried a few times again, but it always starts and then dies. On a forth time I started it and it started but it started sort of to cough and eventually died. No check engine or something like this. I tried to read codes but the only thing the device showed is "Emission related engine dtcs" and then no error codes.

Could it be fuel pump? Or the fuel pump failure should have check engine light?

Old 05-09-2017, 10:00 AM
thefarside
4th Gear
Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts
The HPFP died on my 07 S. It took several weeks of sullen staggering starts for a DTC to set that indicated the cause. DTC codes in the Mini typically won't set until some number of iterations. So no check engine light.

As far as I can tell, the primary (low pressure) fuel pump is quite reliable.

How many miles on the car? S?

Old 05-09-2017, 04:57 PM
oldbrokenwind
6th Gear
Received 201 Likes on 172 Posts
Originally Posted by theateist
I have R56 2009.
This morning when I tried to start the car, it started and then immediately died. Looks like choking. I tried a few times again, but it always starts and then dies. On a forth time I started it and it started but it started sort of to cough and eventually died. No check engine or something like this. I tried to read codes but the only thing the device showed is "Emission related engine dtcs" and then no error codes.

Could it be fuel pump? Or the fuel pump failure should have check engine light?
These are the symptoms I get when a post-turbo hose is disconnected / loose --- any connection between the turbo and intake manifold, and there's a bunch of them, none are easy to access. No codes either. Good luck ---

Old 05-15-2017, 12:25 PM
theateist
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I took it to the dealership and it was the HPFP failure. Apparently MINI extended the warranty on it for 10 years so I was covered by warranty.