Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Is this a cracked strut cap?

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2017, 01:26 PM
gumbedamit
5th Gear
Received 96 Likes on 87 Posts
Originally Posted by ST3ALTHPSYCH0
Yeah, I had no issues gaining purchase removing the old nut. Then again, my spring compressors are older and had about 1/16" to back off before they were actually holding any tension. Maybe back off your compressors until they're just loose enough to slide, so that there's pressure again the mount nut, and break it loose. You'll want to fully compress again when installing the new nut. That part sucked working by myself and w/ compressors that were not quite small enough.

Edit: Just be safe. I'm still a bit scared of working w/ compressed springs from the stories I've been told. Truthfully, I'd consider the vise grips on the old strut. I can assure you that a leather glove and your hand will be enough to prevent the new from spinning.
Are you compressing the springs while they are on the car?

Old 05-12-2017, 02:17 PM
ST3ALTHPSYCH0
3rd Gear
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by gumbedamit
Are you compressing the springs while they are on the car?
No. I think my compressors are simply designed for vehicles w/ a few more coils so that you can grab across 2 instead of just one.