Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

Mini Cooper S 2008 R56 too many errors

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2017, 07:11 PM
magjistari
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mini Cooper S 2008 R56 too many errors

Hi everyone. I havent been driving my mini in a while but problems keep appearing. Check engine was going on randomly now its constant. The only issue that i can tell with the car is when driving at low speeds with low rpm, the car jerks. Its a manual with 50k miles. All errors in the picture attached. I tried sea foaming a few days ago. Couldnt tell any sudden change. Any advice, deeply appreciated.

Attached Thumbnails Mini Cooper S 2008 R56 too many errors-screenshot_20170418-202727.png  
Old 04-23-2017, 07:01 PM
gregsmini
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Margjistari, I'm sorry to hear of your problems. Before getting too far into these codes, how old is the battery in your Mini? I would have it checked out if it's more than a few years old. You also mention you haven't been driving the car. Maybe the battery doesn't have a full charge. When the batteries go bad, they cause strange things to happen in these cars.

Old 05-01-2017, 05:20 PM
magjistari
Neutral
Thank you for your prompt answer Greg. The battery is not old, it was recently replaced, within a year or so. The car starts fine, and runs fine as I was driving it today too. I cleared the codes before i started the trip, drove it maybe for about 20 miles, and like six yellow pending codes came back.

Old 05-02-2017, 11:25 PM
TimBaleia
2nd Gear
Can you read live date with your scanner? Looks like you have lean/rich conditions. Need to see fuel trims. Might be anything from vacuum leaks to O2 sensor or valve cover.

You have pad under the hood which seats over valve cover when hood is closed. Check is this pad soaked with oil? Any oil mist on valve cover?

Old 05-03-2017, 02:44 PM
imad
1st Gear
Originally Posted by magjistari
Hi everyone. I havent been driving my mini in a while but problems keep appearing. Check engine was going on randomly now its constant. The only issue that i can tell with the car is when driving at low speeds with low rpm, the car jerks. Its a manual with 50k miles. All errors in the picture attached. I tried sea foaming a few days ago. Couldnt tell any sudden change. Any advice, deeply appreciated.
Could be your throttle body being not adapted . Either pedal sensor is worn, or throttle body is dirty and can't move to the position it should stay at, causing rich/lean states. Low rpm jerking is expected when running rich - your sparks must be quite wet (you could confirm this btw).

I would say throttle body worth checking first. If you have rheingold, you could see it's position (both requested and actual), as well as pedal position. Any fluctuations without your foot touching the pedal would mean you need to dig into these two.

Of course you need to be sure there's no pressure/vacuum leak before you go to the rest.

Old 05-04-2017, 06:31 AM
magjistari
Neutral
Hi everyone, Thank you for your input. I did open the throttle as that's where is first suspected, however, it was pretty darn clean. Sorry I didn't take pictures. I did wipe it clean, moved the flapper by hand, pretty smooth. I will definitely check with rheingold later in the week as I don't think torque for mobile showed those values. Will definitely update asap.

Old 06-13-2017, 10:45 AM
magjistari
Neutral
Hi everyone, recent updates. As i got rid of my daily car ive been driving the mini. Errors seem to be disappearing on its own. Once in a while i get these two errors, and ive noticed that when errors are active the turbine doesnt engage.

Old 06-13-2017, 11:41 AM
sikamini
6th Gear
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Drive more I guess.

Old 06-13-2017, 09:30 PM
squawSkiBum
Received 302 Likes on 223 Posts
P0120 and P0121 indicate a problem with the accelerator/throttle pedal. There are two sensing circuits for redundancy, one isn't working. Could be the the pedal assembly itself, a loose connector, or the wiring to the ECU. Check the connector at the pedal and at the ECU, also as much of the wiring as possible. You may have to replace the pedal assembly.

Old 06-14-2017, 05:53 PM
bugeye1031
Received 80 Likes on 75 Posts
Off the wall thought

Is your battery from MINI or aftermarket? I had a newish/strong aftermarket battery from a well-known brand and had several codes come up randomly, and my clock and odometer would reset occasionally. The battery had been properly registered. I just lived with it until my mechanic had time to dig into it. He found that one of the terminals (positive, I think) on the aftermarket battery was slightly smaller that the OEM battery, so the connection wasn't perfect. He replaced the battery and did nothing else, and no more codes.

Old 06-16-2017, 12:05 PM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 1,964 Likes on 1,764 Posts
^^ my guess also is that the terminal are not tight on the battery.

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 07-25-2017, 02:15 PM
magjistari
Neutral
So i did replace the pedal assembly with no change. Now the car keeps going limp randomly. I have to stop, reset the codes, and back online. With torque app i notice that when the car is like in a limp mode, the throttle does not respond to the pedal being pressed, while rpm goes to almost 2500. Vacuum seems to respond. Please see the pic. Battery terminals seem to be tight and battery is in good shape. Havent had an issue with it.

Attached Thumbnails Mini Cooper S 2008 R56 too many errors-screenshot_20170724-232311.png  

Last edited by magjistari; 07-25-2017 at 02:22 PM.
Old 07-31-2017, 07:24 PM
magjistari
Neutral
So I went ahead and got a used throttle from ebay for about 85 bucks and problem solved. Apparently the issue was the throttle body sensor. Car runs perfect. I just have to take it to mini of Austin as apparently it has warranty upto 120k for high pressure fuel pump and passenger seat airbag mat. Im not noticing any issues for the fuel pump but the passenger airbag light is on. And I will check if they can reset my brake light and tpms light too. I tried resetting the brake light according to youtube videos, but its not doing it for me. Thank you everyone for your contribution.

Old 07-31-2017, 10:54 PM
imad
1st Gear
Happy to see it's fixed

Old 08-02-2017, 11:53 AM
cargusjoh
4th Gear
Received 54 Likes on 44 Posts
Thanks for posting the solution for others to reference!