Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

Shift feel '11 R55 S manual 23k miles

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2017, 07:58 PM
cargusjoh
4th Gear
Received 54 Likes on 44 Posts
Shift feel '11 R55 S manual 23k miles

Shifting from first to second and from second to third at times has two "notches". Wondering if others have that.

When I shift into first there is always a "notch"/gate to put it into gear. Shifting from first to second there is always also a "notch". But at times there are two "notches" going in to second. On occasion, going into third there are also two "notches". The second of two "notches" has a feel of a gear that is just synchronizing. Has never kicked out, always goes into gear, but feels different.

Anyone else have this inconsistent second "notch"?

Old 03-13-2017, 11:48 AM
PelicanParts.com
Vendor
Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts
Does it ever grind or does it just feel notchy? I have seen R56 owners report notchy shifting feeling from theirs as well. You may want to check your shifer cables and maybe give them some lubrication to see if it improves the feel. This post in this NAM thread might be helpful: https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ml#post3259917. Make sure the cables don't look damaged or corroded.

888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST
Old 03-13-2017, 01:02 PM
cargusjoh
4th Gear
Received 54 Likes on 44 Posts
Hi,
Thanks so much for the reply, and thread reference! The shift has never ground a gear. Describing it is hard. It just feels like the very last bit of synchonizing is slow, like a second notch. From the thread you referenced I will quote:

Originally Posted by Mr Silverblood
Oooooh, I understand what you mean now! Yeah, you're right, especially when it's cold out, the gearbox feels VERY tight and a bit tough. I can almost feel the teeth of the gears as I'm shifting.

It looks like I should try lubing the shift cable ends. I don't feel competant to do this myself so will put is on a list for the next service. I'll report back whrn that is done.

Thanks again!