Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

0 PSI compression 2nd cylander

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2017, 07:43 PM
WillYart
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
0 PSI compression 2nd cylander

Got this 2004 "Justa" mini off of a tow truck driver, the original owner signed off on the sale, apparently gave up on the car but I never got to interview him in detail about the car unfortunately. Engine sounds like it's missing a cylinder, runs kinda rough, blows out a nasty cloud of smelly white smoke from the exhaust and as well as a little from more than one area inside the engine compartment (I've done this as little as possible to avoiding doing additional damage).

Sure enough Cylinder 2 has 0 compression when I tested, the other cylinders were normal. I've started pulling parts off to get down to the head, figure that once the head is off it will be obvious what's going on given this radical test result.

Working from the Bentley manual which is handy.

Not a pro but I've rebuilt 1 engine (a Toyota) successfully.

Here's my intro post which I just posted: https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ni-2004-a.html

And 3 photos of the car which I posted to this popular photo sharing website: http://imgur.com/a/CJv86

Odd thing is the four outer electrodes on the Cylinder 2 spark internal spark plug were SMASHED flat against the internal electrode (no gap). Timing chain skipped? I dunno, I put new sparks in and they're not being smashed.

This car has probably been abused/treated harshly poor thing. One of the valve cover bolts was completely loose, a cracked tire rim, out of coolant, air filter filthy, some may wonder why I'm even messing with it but frankly it just sits there until I feel like poking around at it - a hobby.

The interior of the air intake, behind the door that opens when the throttle is up, is drenched with oil. Spark plug 2 is drenched with oil.

Head gasket? Hope that's all it is. I have no really specific questions but, has anybody done this before or intuitively know what the cause is? Also any key advice for investigating the issue on this particular car? Also any unusual tasks I should do while I'm this deep into it? I suppose timing chain is one. Obviously I'm not going to spend anything until I've more or less figured out what is wrong and what it will take to fix it.

EDIT: ha! forgot my one specific question: I removed the battery box and underneath there is a lever with a small, disintegrated boot. It's the 1st photo in the photo sharing link. Anyone know what this lever is?

Last edited by WillYart; 02-23-2017 at 07:46 PM. Reason: forgot my question
Old 03-03-2017, 01:20 PM
WillYart
1st Gear
Pulled the head off today. Here's the damage. Both intake valves from Cylinder 2 are rattling around in there and obviously the piston and rod are destroyed..

The piston is scored deeply by banging against those valves. Explains why the spark plug was smashed flat.

Who knows where the shrapnel went and how much damage is in the crankshaft area. Head looks fine piston seats are smooth. If it needs a new engine I'm scraping it, if it's fixable I might try. Probably should take the oil pan off and look around underneath.

Old 03-03-2017, 05:30 PM
Shawnnn
5th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Ouch...hopefully you didn't pay too much for it.
Unless the car is completely trashed you should still be make some money parting it out.

Old 03-03-2017, 11:37 PM
WillYart
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Shawnnn
Ouch...hopefully you didn't pay too much for it.
Unless the car is completely trashed you should still be make some money parting it out.
Oh no the price was low given it couldn't drive.

^ in part because of dirty contacts on the ignition switch which I cleaned.

Last edited by WillYart; 03-03-2017 at 11:38 PM. Reason: explanation
Old 03-04-2017, 11:49 PM
WillYart
1st Gear
With a little caring auto maintenance I should have it running in a weekend or two, no? one replacement piston and connecting rod on the way from someone in the UK.

Anyone who knows these cars better than I care to speculate the underlying cause of this mishap, i.e. whether the timing chain skipped? Only 1 piston has damage not the others; to marks on the faces of the other pistons.

Old 03-10-2017, 11:08 AM
SRICHS
4th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
you can usually find the Justa motors on ebay or craigslist for $500 to $700.. usually the motor is still in the car, and you can hear it run. usually its a complete motor they will sell, so you'll get all kinds of parts to part out when yours is complete, might actually get paid to work on your car!! might be a viable option considering the condition of the bottom end of yours is unknown.

Old 03-10-2017, 11:20 AM
WillYart
1st Gear
Wow sweet. Maybe I can find one and bring it with me on the airplane back to Oahu next time I'm visiting the mainland.

"What are you dragging along there, sir?

"Oh just a car engine"