Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

P0340 Camshaft Position Sensor Code and traction control on cooler days

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2017, 07:46 PM
eddie33brian
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So I read some other threads related to my codes. There was mention of vacuum tubes under the supercharger intercooler. Then I remembered moving some vacuum lines while replacing the CPS. I found a very small vacuum tube (rigid line) broken from its joint under the Intercooler tube (passenger side). Now I need to pull the intercooler and replace the vacuum tube but I need the parts.
Anyone have a link to the lines from that area?

Last edited by eddie33brian; 11-21-2017 at 07:51 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 11-22-2017, 05:02 AM
Whine not Walnuts
OVERDRIVE
Received 625 Likes on 554 Posts
Many of the vendors here will carry those parts. I have a link to the vendor area in my signature below. Glad it sounds like your engine is still good.

You might want to order some of the washer type clips that hold the lines in place. You can break them if not careful.

Old 11-27-2017, 06:24 PM
eddie33brian
1st Gear
I was able to reconnect the vacuum line, which was the fuel pressure regulator vacuum line. The car seems to run OK until I gave it the low r.p.m./ heavy throttle test and it failed miserably. So it seems the problem is still there. And I am getting the DSC light again immediately, with the same P0340 code. I looked underneath the intercooler downtube again and found another vacuum line or vacuum line connector sitting there not attached to anything. It’s another skinny rigid vacuum line with a cone shaped connector at the end of it which goes nowhere.
Sheesh.
what I really need is a schematic or diagram of where those vacuum lines should go.

Old 11-27-2017, 08:53 PM
ItsmeWayne
6th Gear - An Official NAM Greeter
Received 328 Likes on 309 Posts
Originally Posted by eddie33brian
I was able to reconnect the vacuum line, which was the fuel pressure regulator vacuum line. The car seems to run OK until I gave it the low r.p.m./ heavy throttle test and it failed miserably. So it seems the problem is still there. And I am getting the DSC light again immediately, with the same P0340 code. I looked underneath the intercooler downtube again and found another vacuum line or vacuum line connector sitting there not attached to anything. It’s another skinny rigid vacuum line with a cone shaped connector at the end of it which goes nowhere.
Sheesh.
what I really need is a schematic or diagram of where those vacuum lines should go.
This sounds like the cam position sensor is failing, but it could be the plug is corroded and that can be a common problem. It is a cheap sensor to replace. if you do replace it, you still need to check the connector for corrosion.
The cam position sensor will put the dsc light on! And it will not turn off, until the issue is corrected.
A pic of the vacuum line that is off, would help a bunch, for identifying it's location.
I am sorry, but forgot, or never knew the year of your car and if it is a justa or "S" model.

Old 11-28-2017, 07:59 AM
eddie33brian
1st Gear
2005 R53. Cooper S.
I have replaced the CPS twice in the past 2 weeks. I doubt they are both bad although I admit I didn’t buy them from BMW.

Still same result. In fact, the DSC light with the P0340 fault comes on more often since changing it. I clear the codes and it’s ok for a second. And it’ll run normally until it throws the code again.

The wiring looks good and I have checked it each time. I have no idea if there is a short down the line somewhere.
I will get a picture when I can.

I have located and reconnected the vacuum line issue that was under the intercooler. Still same result.
Now what.

Last edited by eddie33brian; 11-29-2017 at 12:55 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 05-12-2018, 05:59 PM
Grantmc
Neutral
Having same issues

I have a 2006 Cooper S with the same issues. I have also replaced the Cam position sensor twice. Did you ever find a fix for this problem?

Old 05-13-2018, 05:39 AM
ItsmeWayne
The crank position sensor is P0340. The sensor is located in the front of the engine to the right of the supercharger It is a common fault with the gen 1 Minis.

Old 05-13-2018, 07:40 PM
Grantmc
Neutral
The code readers I have access to, list the P0340 as the cam position sensor A circuit (bank 1 or single sensor). I have read here on the forums that the crank sensor can also cause that code, also blown fuses, shorted O2 sensors and bad timing. I'm trying to find something a little more concrete so I'm not just throwing parts at it. Is there a way to verify that it is the crank sensor?

Old 05-13-2018, 08:02 PM
ItsmeWayne
I have dealt with these codes many times. both the cam position sensor and the crank position sensor are related. I just always change both, because of this.
Do what you want, but both influence whether the dsc and other codes appear.
Why play with it? Sometimes when working on related parts that are known to fail are acting up, why not change them both?
It costs more in the long haul to pick at it over and over. Just my thoughts and I work on Minis all the time.
Tell me to go to heck, if you want, but I sell these cars as a small legal dealer and specialize in gen 1 MINI Coopers. no one can know it all, as we are not there, but we do have experience.
Hope you get it going!
Ps. I use dealer test equipment.

Old 05-13-2018, 08:05 PM
ItsmeWayne
You should be looking for random misfire codes, which both sensors can cause. Especially when cylinder # 1 is missing all the time (this leads you to both sensors, but favors the cam position sensor)
I hope this helps you get it back to the Mini you want!

Old 11-30-2019, 10:30 AM
Pookie0412
1st Gear
Help me!!!

Originally Posted by ItsmeWayne
I have dealt with these codes many times. both the cam position sensor and the crank position sensor are related. I just always change both, because of this.
Do what you want, but both influence whether the dsc and other codes appear.
Why play with it? Sometimes when working on related parts that are known to fail are acting up, why not change them both?
It costs more in the long haul to pick at it over and over. Just my thoughts and I work on Minis all the time.
Tell me to go to heck, if you want, but I sell these cars as a small legal dealer and specialize in gen 1 MINI Coopers. no one can know it all, as we are not there, but we do have experience.
Hope you get it going!
Ps. I use dealer test equipment.
Hi. I’m new to the Cooper thing but really think these cars are awesome. That being said, I recently traded a great running 04 g35x for this non running 03 Cooper s with mods. The PO said all it needed was a cam sensor. I put a code reader in it and that’s what I got as well. I’ve change the cam sensor and pigtail along with the crank sensor for safe measures. I’m still unable to get the car to run. I don’t want to throw in the towel but I’m getting aggravated. I have crank but no spark. Spark plugs are wet with fuel, timing is good and also compression is good. I don’t know what else to look at. I’m trying to avoid sending it to a shop as I’ve never fine that before. I always fix my cars myself. Is there a really I could check or a fuse. Something obvious. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Old 11-30-2019, 01:57 PM
ItsmeWayne
Originally Posted by Pookie0412
Hi. I’m new to the Cooper thing but really think these cars are awesome. That being said, I recently traded a great running 04 g35x for this non running 03 Cooper s with mods. The PO said all it needed was a cam sensor. I put a code reader in it and that’s what I got as well. I’ve change the cam sensor and pigtail along with the crank sensor for safe measures. I’m still unable to get the car to run. I don’t want to throw in the towel but I’m getting aggravated. I have crank but no spark. Spark plugs are wet with fuel, timing is good and also compression is good. I don’t know what else to look at. I’m trying to avoid sending it to a shop as I’ve never fine that before. I always fix my cars myself. Is there a really I could check or a fuse. Something obvious. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Start a thread for yourself and I will try to help, but do not want to step on this post for your issue. Let me know, when you do and I will try to help you. several things need to be looked at. Don't give up!

The following users liked this post:
Pookie0412 (11-30-2019)
Old 11-30-2019, 03:35 PM
ewgoforth
2nd Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Scrolling down the thread it doesn't look like I indicated what the problem was for me. I changed the cam position sensor and it fixed it.

Old 11-30-2019, 06:39 PM
Pookie0412
1st Gear
New thread started.

Old 10-17-2020, 05:54 AM
Cliff Cunningham
1st Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by ewgoforth
Hi,

On cooler days (below 50 degrees F) my check engine light and traction control light will come on. On subsequent recranks the traction control light will go out, but the check engine light will stay on. If it warms up to the upper 50s the lights will go out.

I plugged in my obd reader and it says that I have a P0340 Camshaft Position Sensor Code. Other than doing the obvious and changing the sensor any idea what else could cause if to come on? Particularly with the traction control light?
I had this code pop up right after replacing the timing chain (I also replaced the cam sensor at the time). When I would first start the car, it would start rough and sometimes light the traction control and engine light, throwing the Cam code and sometimes a cylinder misfire. After a good bit of searching, I finally decided to buy the OEM NTK cam sensor. I did not buy a cheap one last time around, but it was not OEM. My idea behind the sensor failing upon start was that the R53s battery is in the back of the car, upon cranking, the voltage supplied to the front has a significant drop, maybe the OEM was made for this drop? I replaced the sensor with the OEM and it took care of the problem. If you replace the sensor, buy OEM.

The following users liked this post:
ssoliman (10-17-2020)