Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Cylinder Head/New Engine

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2015, 12:13 PM
MiniSuperCooper
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cylinder Head/New Engine

I posted a thread quite some time back concerning a misfire. Come to find out it was caused by low compression in cylinders 1 and 4. Cylinders 1 and 4 are leaking into cylinders 2 and 3. (There isn't any coolant in the oil.) The dealer said the gasket is likely the cause, but the damage could be far worse. The car drives fine, and it only has 98,000 miles on it. I've had it since it was new, and I've gone above and beyond on maintenance. Needless to say, this is a shock. I'm debating what to do. It's been sitting in the garage for some time now. However, I suppose I've been avoiding this for too long now.

My options are as follows:

1. Have the dealer fix it. This will cost between $4,200 and $8,000. (depending if it needs a new engine)

2. Have another mechanic fix it and save a little $$$$ that way.

3. Fix it myself. (Not sure how this option would play out.)

4. Sell it. This will be a total loss, since it's only worth $8,000. I can't imagine getting more than a few hundred for it.

5. Fix it, then sell it. This isn't much better than option #4. Best case scenario, I get $5000 more for it than it cost to fix it. Worst case I break even. (However, neither of these are really true, since I paid $26,000 for it 8 years ago. In the end, I'm losing a ton of cash here too.)

Has anyone ever changed a head gasket themselves? How hard is it? Is this something a person could do in the garage? If it does need a new engine, I suppose I could tow to a mechanic, because I doubt I could do that in our garage. (In the past I have rebuilt a 4x4 differential and a tranny, so working on cars isn't entirely foreign to me. However, I assume a job like this will require a lot of specialty tools and a lot of tedious tight spots. My wife thinks I'm crazing for even considering this. )

Old 01-30-2015, 12:55 PM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts
I think the dealer is just trying scare you into dropping a crate motor into the car...
Dealers are parts changers, not repair shops....
My suggestion...
Go to an indie shop..they can yank the head..Deck it if needed (be more $$ to do valves if they look worn)...be more like $2000....almost all labor.

Old 01-31-2015, 10:47 PM
gpwpat
4th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
If you have done a tyranny and a differential you will not have trouble. These cars are extremely easy to work on. Except there is lots of stuff in the way. Pulling the head means pulling a lot of stuff off to get to it. But nothing you couldn't do in a long day. Or if you don't need the car a couple of leisurely weekends.

Old 02-06-2015, 07:21 PM
MiniSuperCooper
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thank you for your input. At this point I have two shops willing to do this work. Of course, one is the dealer. The other is Eurosport in Norman, OK. I could replace the head, but I'm afraid the issues may run deeper. Eurosport is also saying it's most likely going to require a new engine. Both are at around $8000 for the engine swap. The difference seems to be that Eurosport will change out the hoses when replacing the engine. (I'm not sure if this means some hoses or all hoses.) The dealership doesn't change any hoses. Both give a two year warranty. I'm also debating on trying to get the supercharger replaced or serviced during all this...since that part is bound to fail eventually. I could save the labor later by doing something now. At this point I need to decide on who to go with...Jackie Cooper (dealership) or Eurosport. Chris at Eurosport acted like swapping an engine wasn't a big deal and said that they've changed the engines in quite a few MINIs. Jackie Cooper said they honestly don't see very many 1st Generation MINIs anymore. Anyone had this done before? Is this something I should leave to the dealer? Or can an indie shop handle it fairly easily?

Old 02-07-2015, 09:50 AM
BlueThunder
Former Vendor
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Some choices

What exactly happened to the engine? How many miles? was this an over heat or car runs O.K. but consumes oil etc. If the engine is consuming water, and you know its migrating into certain cylinders then that sounds like a cylinder head gasket or head issue.

If It has been consuming oil for some time then thats possibly bottom end issues or valve guides and seals. If it has been sitting for 3 or 4 weeks with water in the cylinders, then you may by this time have rusting cylinders. Which means engine job.

Other options are a used engine, or have your engine rebuilt. External incidentals, fluids, hoses, and thermostat, radiator, clutch, etc. Are going to need to be includes on an "as needed basis"