Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

R50 Coding help

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2015, 06:58 PM
SCMiniS
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
R50 Coding help

I am trying to make a few changes to some features on my '03 Mini R50. I want the turn signals to flash when the doors are unlocked by remote and for it to chirp the horn when it locks.

I know the items to change to activate this, but I can't seem to get it to reload.

I run NCSExpert and read the ECU OK. However I can only find the items to change when I read the ZCS file. The question is how to upload this edited file to the car.

Any help with these final steps is appreciated.

Old 01-03-2015, 05:47 AM
mrbean
5th Gear
Received 152 Likes on 117 Posts
There are some thorough how-to's out there if you can track them down.
Step one is to get NCS expert set-up correctly. I'll PM you a set-up guide. It's a little tricky.

Once it's set-up correctly, I would recommend downloading something called NCSdummy, google it. Once you read the data from the module, NCS expert will dump all the data into the FSW_PSW.TRC file on your hard drive. You can edit this file manually or use NCSdummy to help you. The nice thing about NCSdummy is that it spells everything out in plain english so there's no guess work. When you've made all the changes you want, export the FSW_PSW.MAN file. This is what NCS expert uses to write the data to the module. Editing the .TRC file alone will not make any changes to the module. Go back into NCS expert and write the new .MAN file to the module.

Old 01-03-2015, 10:33 AM
SCMiniS
1st Gear
More info

Ok, here's what I have changed, but there is no affect on the car.

These are written in the ZCS or either the EWS or KMB files. I can read them, and have now been able to rewrite to the modules, but no affect as expected.

QUIT_OPT_SCHAERF VISUAL LOCKING ACKNOWLEDGE (SINGLE TURN SIGNAL FLASH)
nicht_aktiv not enabled
* aktiv enabled

QUIT_AKUST_SCHAERF ACOUSTIC LOCKING ACKNOWLEDGE (SINGLE ALARM BEEP) (this doesn't work on mine, but I hear some relay click))
nicht_aktiv not enabled
* aktiv enabled

QUIT_OPT_ENTSCH VISUAL UNLOCKING ACKNOWLEDGE (TWO TURN SIGNAL FLASHES)
nicht_aktiv not enabled
* aktiv enabled

QUIT_AKUST_ENTSCH ACOUSTIC UNLOCKING ACKNOWLEDGE (TWO ALARM BEEPS) (this doesn't work on mine, but I hear some relay click)
nicht_aktiv not enabled
* aktiv enabled

I want the turn signals to flash when the doors are unlocked.

Ant help is appreciated.

Old 01-04-2015, 05:44 AM
mrbean
5th Gear
Received 152 Likes on 117 Posts
There may be other lines in the file that need to be changed as well for the desired coding to take. I ran into this when trying to deactivate the hill holding feature on my 128i. Scour the file to see if there's anything closely related to locking/unlocking functions. Sometimes seemingly unrelated lines of code may actually make it work.

Also, I wouldn't hold up hopes for the acoustic signals, if you don't have the factory alarm it won't beep.

Old 01-06-2015, 12:47 PM
SCMiniS
1st Gear
ZCS coding help

OK, I've accepted the fact that the horn might not chirp when the doors lock. I'm OK with that. But I really would like the hazards to flash when the doors unlock. After searching endlessly through the coding using NCSExpert, I can only find the value I need to change in the EWS and KMB files when I read the ZCS (ZCS_LESEN). In each of these I find:

QUIT_OPT_SCHAERF (VISUAL LOCKING ACKNOWLEDGE - SINGLE TURN SIGNAL FLASH)
** aktiv

and

QUIT_OPT_ENTSCH VISUAL UNLOCKING ACKNOWLEDGE (TWO TURN SIGNAL FLASHES)
** nicht_aktiv

All I want is to change the second one to activate the flash on unlock.

I have been able to read the code out. Then change it in the FSW_PSW file and rename to a FSW_PSW.man, but it does not write it to the car when I go back and use either ZCS_SCHREIBEN (ZCS_write) or SG_CODIEREN.

I turn the car off, exit, and try the remote key and it stays the same. When I re-read the ZCS out, it is back to the way it was originally.

So, how can I change this?

Old 01-07-2015, 05:49 PM
socalr53
2nd Gear
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
were you able to find these params in a specific module ? such as KMB ?
When I did coding on my 05 MCS, i noticed there are a lot of params listed in the initial file it created, but some of those are not listed in any of the sub modules, when you read a specific module. If it is not in the sub-module , it doesn't take it. I can go check whats in my cars file. its been a while since I coded