Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

"ba-da-dump, ba-da-dump, ba-da-dump" idle

Old 06-29-2004, 08:30 PM
sonichris
3rd Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
"ba-da-dump, ba-da-dump, ba-da-dump" idle

this was taken from a thread in performance mods:
Originally Posted by gmack
I hope they address the funny idle I've been getting since it got warm out in a later release as well.
Originally Posted by Bisch
Are you getting the "ba-da-dump, ba-da-dump, ba-da-
dump" idle? Does it sound like it is missing on a cylinder? Mine does this, and the service mgr. says he can't tell what it is. It is not throwing a code. Given I have some mods, he doesn't want to get the big boys in the loop...that is the price paid for many mods...and I accept that.
Originally Posted by gmack
This is exactly why I no longer dream of owning any BMW's. When unmodified cars have the same problem, IT'S NOT CAUSED BY THE MODS !!!!!! They have ruined there own dealership with that BS, and lost at least one, (Me) future customer.

I've often wondered how many future customers do they have too loose before they behave with the written laws of this country. Or how much money they think they are saving, opposed to loosing in future buisness ?

Anyways, the bad idle is likely much more widespread than you or I and should hopefully be addressed someday before our cars suffer any real damage from it. Of course if they do, BMW will probably try to blame us anyways.

I am unsure how MINI is going to get word of how widespread this problem is if there dealers are afraid to get them involved.
it seems i'm not the only one with this problem. here's the basic scenario:

driving down the highway, take the exit ramp, stop at a light, count to about 10 seconds and the engine starts skipping, "ba-da-bump, ba-da-bump..." after about 10 more seconds it recovers but not before almost stalling. then everything is fine.... until the next stop light. anyone else have this problem?

i do have a theory, although i have not been able to test it. i think it's the EVAP system. this problem always seems to happen at idle, which is when EVAP systems normally purge the charcoal canister of fuel vapors. i think pressure may be building up and then released suddenly when the purge valve starts cycling on/off (this is what allows the fuel vapor to enter the intake manifold). this will cause a sudden rich mixture, which causes the engine to stumble. after a while the o2 sensor will catch up and adjust the fuel trim accordingly. just a theory...

Old 06-30-2004, 07:40 AM
Bisch
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I should add that the idle issue I have has been present since before heavy mods were made. I could not replicate the problem at the dealer.

Old 06-30-2004, 08:59 AM
gmack
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I haven't been using the air much. My car seems to suffer this problem when the car is hot. I exited the freeway the other day and got caught in traffic. Within a minute or so. ba-da-dump, ba-da-dump. My brother imediate looked at me and and "said, what the heck ? is that your car?"

I have felt this about 15 times in total. Only twice was is so severe to actualy show up on the tach.

I believe another thread was already started about this.